Zeb Jackson to enter transfer portal

He’s been away from the team since the Rutgers game, FWIW. So it isn’t like he was in practice Monday and in the portal on Tuesday.

2 Likes

Would he be able to play for another team next year? Can he claim redshirt status for this year? I believe he appeared only 3-4 games this year. I feel sorry for the kid.

Anyone who transfers can play for another team next year. I suspect he could probably get a waiver for his sophomore year eligibility but he also gets last year back for COVID. So he’ll have at least 3 to play at his next school regardless.

I’m actually pretty disappointed. I thought he deserved a chance at some more minutes with the way this season was going. Not saying he was the answer but I’d like to have seen him get a chance.

He came in to games maybe overly excited at times but at least he was looking to make a play and being aggressive. His shots weren’t falling but they were usually pretty on , just not going down, but he showed potential to go get a shot / create which we’ve struggled with.

I also like how he went up tough for rebounds and playing him as a small ball 3 looked like it could have had potential on some units.

Idk, seems like a waste.

7 Likes

I mean he never really got a chance for several reasons. He was hurt/sick at the start of the year. Came back and played a little. Got COVID, left the team, transferred. It’s a stretch to take anything he did and say it wasn’t used enough since, besides the tiny tiny almost Bajema level sample size, Juwan quite literally could not have played him most of the time. He dressed for like 7 games all year.

2 Likes

Idk , the whole thing is odd and a bit frustrating cause I would have liked to have seen him get some looks here.

He could have definitely played his way into some minutes the last month so it’s a head scratcher the way it all played out.

I didn’t realize he was even still on a leave and totally away from the team so that changes things.

Still sucks cause they need a spark. Oh well. Hope he finds a good fit.

4 Likes

I was hoping he would get the chance to grow here. But, neexxxt.

1 Like

I’m w Sly. Zeb always looked physically gifted to me, and I’m sorry he won’t get the chance to fight for it. Hard to know how the transfer decision was made and I kinda suspect it started from the player, but you’d like to see them hold on to him. Ain’t like they recruited over him in a way that’s obvious to an outsider.

2 Likes

Every so often I break this down by position:

3 Likes

Jett’s not a SG?

1 Like

He’s a small forward on 247.

1 Like

Jett is a forward. I would put Diabate at center.

1 Like

At the moment he plays primarily at the 4, but if he sticks around he’ll be a 5 next year.

BTW, with immediate eligibility could Jackson play at his new school this year (if he wanted to)? Maybe he’s going for a medical redshirt though.

I think he’ll go for a medical redshirt and have four years remaining. I know we all wish him nothing but the best…just as long as he doesn’t transfer to a B1G school! :wink:

He can play in 2022-23. You can’t transfer mid season and play the same season.

He will have at least three years of eligibility. I’d imagine he has a chance at maybe getting a waiver for this year back but I’m not sure on that.

2 Likes

This backcourt is terrifying and I’m the biggest Kobe Bufkin fan alive lol

3 Likes

Is it possible a guy likes Barnes or Jett could shift into back court as well? Barnes is actually listed as a G/F on the Michigan website. Obviously seen much of him yet but he was a 4 star recruit and someone who was quickly improving.

But I do see Howard going to get someone through the portal. There is not much experience in that backcourt. A steady hand would be welcomed.

SKnight

1 Like

I tend to think in terms of guard, wing, forward, center.

1 Like

MSU has found a way to use an extra wing instead of a second guard so it is possible. But it isn’t just needing bodies to eat minutes, it is what type of role you need. For example, a team with a PG like X that played 33+ minutes and always had the ball can live with a wing next to them.

But how do you feel about Dug and Frankie? I think we need someone comfortable with the ball in their hand, preferably a combo guy that can initiate offense at times while being able to shoot or defend. I don’t remember how to find the list of portal transfers to see who that would mean.