Zeb Jackson to enter transfer portal

4 Likes

As RT’s by Zeb

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZattwIgcUX/

Well hopefully everything works out for Zeb elsewhere.

As for the Michigan side of things - we’re hurting for some guard depth. Zeb was the only guard commit in Juwan’s first two classes and now he’s gone. Hopefully Collins and Bufkin continue to develop and Jett/Dug can step right in next year. Or try to find another Chaundee in the portal.

6 Likes

If Jacob Young isn’t starting for Michigan next year we riot

2 Likes

Updated scholarship chart:

2 Likes

One of my favorite players and prospects. Wish Zeb all the best on his journey!!! :cry:

4 Likes

I would say that Michigan was already hurting for guard depth. Jackson was more like hypothetical depth. Not much there to think he was going to provide that depth.

6 Likes

Pretty terrifying with how much we have talked about lack of depth/experience this year to realize next year’s roster makeup by class is exactly the same as this year’s, just with 3 juniors (one who won’t be here) instead of 3 seniors, then 4 sophomores and half the roster made up of guys who have never played a second in a Michigan uniform before.

4 Likes

Good luck, Zeb. Thanks for coming and hope it works out for you.

Glad to have clarity here.

5 Likes

I think it’s hard to really say until NBA decisions are in. There’s still a chance that more people who have played minutes return.

I think guys like Kobe, Frankie have gotten valuable experience this year that someone like Terrance didn’t get last year for example.

The bigger thing is that this whole team is Hunter Dickinson so I’m not sure what it looks like without him. That can go in a lot of different ways but it’ll certainly be different. Or he comes back as a surprise and things play out a whole different way.

2 Likes

:sob: Oh man, not a shock but still :sob:

7 Likes

Yea it’s hard to see how next years roster will be much better than this year’s. Many of the same problems seem just as likely to exist. Obviously there is a ton of time between now and then and a lot can happen, but we may need a ton of help from the transfer portal again, because outside of Jett I don’t see a lot of instant impact in next years class.

3 Likes

Gonna need to see a sophomore leap from Kobe, and wise use of the transfer portal.

1 Like

It all depends on attrition. If you could replace Johns, Jones, Nunez and Eli with the incoming recruits while keeping Houstan, Diabate, and Dickinson you’d feel pretty good. You’d probably still feel really good if you kept two of those three. If you keep 0-1 then we’re going to be hitting the portal hard. Too soon to know where things stand obviously.

The one obvious concern is that there are only going to be 3 guards on the entire roster regardless of who goes pro and that includes a 5-9 true freshman and two sophomores on the fringe of the rotation. I think you need a ball dominant guard to take the pressure off those guys and eat some minutes. Forward is probably going to be okay and center depends entirely on attrition.

The challenge is going to be roster spots. If everyone returns (unlikely) we roll with those three guards since there isn’t room. If one of them leaves you have to choose between going to the portal for a guard or center.

2 Likes

I was really rooting for him having worked near his high school and seeing games while he was still in the Toledo area. But path to playing time has been tough to come by and it’s clear he wasn’t ahead of Kobe. I think he could still be a very good college player.

3 Likes

I think there’s a solid chance he has a similar arc to Ibi Watson where he has a really solid year at a lower level his senior year and people on the internet complain about how much we could’ve used him even though it was never going to work out like that here. I think he could have some legit success at a mid major+ type though. Or maybe he’ll just have it click at a high major. You never know. I wish him well.

4 Likes

I hope that there’s not something else going on that hinders him. Will always appreciate his loyalty to the school during the coaching search. But have to admit that he didn’t take a soph leap. Maybe because he’s been out so much.

2 Likes

He played 34 minutes :rofl:

Sad to see him go, but it’s hard to say I didn’t see this coming. Kind of surprising that he announced it partway through the season though…

1 Like