Working on the first Big Ten Power Rankings of the season

Anything catch your eyes this year so far? How would you rank the teams?

Who do you think is being under or overrated?

Michigan St
Maryland
Purdue
Iowa
Northwestern
Michigan
Wisconsin
Indiana
Nebraska
Minnesota
Penn St
Illinois
Ohio St
Rutgers

I think there is a clear separation after the top 3 teams in the conference. After that there are probably 5 or 6 teams you could put in a group and you would have all of them in a various order.

2 Likes

Definitely a top three and everyone else right now. What makes you so high on Northwestern?

Well their only loss is to North Carolina and they didn’t look overmatched, right with them for 28-30 minutes. It was without Marcus Paige but I am not sure the other teams behind NW like Michigan/Wisconsin could hang with UNC at this point. It is a weak non conference schedule but they have beaten the teams they have to beat.

1 Like

Fair… But on the other hand if Wisconsin or Michigan had played Northwestern’s schedule would we expect either to be anything worse than 7-1 with an 11 point loss to UNC? Would we think NW would have a better showing than Wisconsin or Michigan with their schedules? It’s tough doing power rankings at this point because non-conference schedules are so wildly different.

1: MSU
2: Purdue
3: Maryland
4-12: ???
13: OSU
14: RUTGERS

It’s that easy!!!

Tier 1
Maryland
Michigan St.
Purdue

Tier 2
Michigan
Indiana
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

Tier 3
Ohio St.
Nebraska
Penn St.
Minnesota
Rutgers

1 Like

Have we just kicked Illinois out of the Big Ten? :wink:

Might as well lol.

I’d put them right behind Ohio St. in tier 3.

I think Maryland is over rated at this point. They have talent, but don’t seem to be really gelling.
MSU is the clear front runner.
I think OSU is under rated. I don’t expect them to be great, but I don’t think they are cellar dwellers.
I think UM is top 5 in the B1G, but after that, I don’t have a clue about the other teams.

Power Rankings are up on the front page

Jared Uthoff has 24 points with 4 minutes left in the first half…he is on fire right now. 7 straight makes

OSU is relatively bad but I agree that they might be underrated – despite their youth, they do have a lot of talent and will sooner or later start to figure things out. On the other hand, I still don’t believe in Wisconsin.

I was disappointed not to see any Michigan players on Dylan’s chart showing the most productive passer-scorer combos. I thought Michigan was a relatively good passing team?

Think it more speaks to balance. Michigan kind of has three assist guys (LeVert/Walton/Irvin) and a multitude of different shooters.

1 Like

I would also guess if Spike were healthy there would be a healthy Spike to Duncan or Levert line.