We have a roster…

Reed is a forward so they can finalize their recruiting pitch to Kante by saying we only have one center on the roster.

3 Likes

A fond remembrance of DeAndre Ayton, Marvin Bagley and Wendell Carter all being college “4s”

1 Like

Anyone surprised by this? If TWill is going to continue being a forward, I don’t understand why he’s losing weight. I thought he missed some of his mass last year, and was sometimes pushed off the ball by bigger guys which, one would think, prevents him from doing the things he’s good at.

Terrance Williams is a SMALL GUARD!

2 Likes

It seems like they are planning for him to play more on the perimeter. I don’t know how I feel about that. On the one hand, we needed more options on the wing so shifting TWill and Jett down a position gives us options. On the other hand we need some size and rebounding in the front court with Diabate and Johns gone.

2 Likes

He’s 6-5. He needs to get skinner not bigger. He definitely had weight to lose while still gaining strength.

2 Likes

He’s 6.7 I thought

Well, that’s what they list him at. He’s really about 6’5.5.

As for weight loss, losing weight does not mean losing strength. TWill, himself, talks about being quicker and more agile with the loss of weight and if you talk the Sandman I am pretty sure he will say TWill is stronger, much stronger than when he came in.

I see him as a perimeter player, and certainly not a backup or emergency five. To those who see him as a “small ball” five, I think he’s actually a small ball FOUR. I would say if we need an emergency five we’ll need to look to Cheddar or even Jace, but not TWill. That’s just my opinion, which is totally meaningless because I’ve not been to one practice and, besides, the only opinion that counts is that of the coaching staff, but I do think they see TWill as a perimeter player. 6’5.5 power three/small ball four, and probably the starting four, though again, I haven’t been to a practice so what do I know?!?

4 Likes

“Fat is the enemy of speed.” - Jim Harbaugh

1 Like

I like my TWill CHONKY :triumph:

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, although as long as he maintains his wonky stride, shot, etc., I will continue to stan. Just an incredible mixture of awkward looking execution and inarguable results.

5 Likes

I think he’s 6’7" in the same way Xavier Simpson was 6’0" and Anthony Davis is 6’11" (ie, maybe he was wearing healthy sized heels that day)

1 Like

So as this roster with all of the laughable positions, heights, and weights starts to take shape (seriously…Jace as a G/F??) - does it change anyone’s thoughts on who starts or is in the rotation?

I’ve long thought the opening day lineup was Llewelyn-Bufkin-Jett-TWill-Hunter and probably still do. But in that scenario you have three “guards” plus this new slimmed down TWill that people keep talking about as a wing out there. Any chance Baker, Khayat or anyone else breaks into that lineup to start the season? Do we still think those 7 guys plus Dug and Reed are your primary 9-man rotation?

Going to be more of a Beilein lineup at the 4 than what we saw last year.

I think you’re letting these designations mean too much if they are affecting any rotation guesses. Franz was also listed as a Guard so that means we started 3 “guards” in 2021. Caleb Houstan was a Guard/Forward last year and Jace was just a Guard the prior two years. He added the forward designation this year

3 Likes

I’ve long thought that Baker gets the initial crack as a starter, whether he holds onto it, I don’t know. Whether that comes at the expense of Bufkin or Jett in your scenario, I don’t know.

That’s less a statement of playing time (hard to see him significantly over 20 mins regardless) than just the fact that Jett has a better ability to guard a few positions and could be used to spell both the 2 and 3.

Wouldn’t shock me if Jett is just better by the end of the year than Baker, but I think it’s possible that in early season tournaments, Baker may still provide a certain comfort level on a roster without much high major experience.

2 Likes

I thought that too…until I learned that he’s still working back from injury.

His shot is so friggin funny looking, I love it. Release point is as far above his head as possible, seems like he’s fading away half the time screaming YOLO….and the ball inexplicably goes in.

2 Likes

I have one quick take which is that if YoYos weight is real, he’s less likely to get minutes at four than I thought previously. But I’m even less confident in that weight than I am in the other data.

I’m ignoring his weight since he used a different scale than his teammates :wink:

2 Likes

great point. maybe he’s 195kg!