Video: Phil Martelli, Joey Baker preview Michigan State

1 Like

Some interesting stuff in here w/r/t the rivalry, Hunter Dickinson NIL/podcast/etc.,

2 Likes

Phil delivering as always. The last Hunter answer was a little cryptic, and Iā€™m glad theyā€™re ā€œhandling itā€ regardless of what their definition of ā€œhandleā€ is.

A lot of the Hunter noise is actually just guilt-by-association, and there will continue to be controversial things said on his podcast (and dozens of others) as athletesā€™ gain more platforms to be themselves. Itā€™s a good thing overall, but some of our fanbase is annoyed because they donā€™t want to root for the villain.

This is the rivalry I want :slight_smile:

2 Likes

no one is forcing him to associate with such characters. and most of the noise is Hunterā€™s own mouth, not othersā€™.

2 Likes

I donā€™t disagree, I donā€™t mean to endorse the podcast specifically either. Guilt by Association. The Hitler thing was not said by Hunter, was it? I think thatā€™s the only thing that has crossed the line (with MSU). There was no reason for his specific comments about Wisconsin, though.

I guess my point is that Hunter is the current public villain, but there are going to be more that arise from different teams across the country. Butā€¦ then itā€™s on them (including HD) to back it up on the court.

His academic comments crossed the line IMO.

3 Likes

Yeah - I guess I should really clarify that this is not how I would act. Thus, definitely a line in my own moral compass has been crossed. Iā€™m just less judgmental on Hunterā€™s academic trash talk because its not original.

I think heā€™s saying that based mostly on hearsay, and doesnā€™t realize that the age-old ā€œsafety schoolā€ argument and slander has been an argument in a whole lot of circles in this state for a long time. He canā€™t be so nonchalant about it on a podcast. Itā€™s a delicate and misinformed topic usually.

But the rivalry it creates on the basketball court is fun.

1 Like

I donā€™t agree that itā€™s fun. I find him utterly annoying. I donā€™t think his podcast or trash talk are creative or interesting.

I get that heā€™s going for a pro wrestling heel gimmick but the character is not nuanced. He is just being a jerk for jerkā€™s sake.

Iā€™d like to believe the recent players-only meeting addressed that.

Mo crossing up Ward or Charles vs Ward are examples of the rivalry I want. Basically I need Nick Ward back

6 Likes

The ā€œyou couldnā€™t get into Michiganā€ thing is so tired because most students are out of state nowadays.

1 Like

Excellent, excellent interviews. Martelliā€™s is always on the intellectual level which is special. Heā€™s special.

2 Likes

Also, I doubt Hunter knows where the organic chemistry class is, much less sitting in it.

3 Likes

Phil and Joey are the Martelli twins.

2 Likes

Pay Phil an extra 10 grand and have him do all the pressers.

2 Likes

Steve Stoyko (sp?) was in my Orgo class back in the day.

Brad Davison. And heā€™s just the most recent and obvious in a long list of ā€˜reasonsā€™ from a program that drills dirty tricksterism into its players.

I get it. U-M fans want the players to be better than that. Sometimes taking the low road is more fun.

1 Like

Wisconsin is and has been a dirty team. Brad Davison was the dirtiest player in college basketball. They are notorious for sliding feet under jump shooters. I have no problem with the scum bag label for them.

4 Likes