Five takeaways from Michigan's 61-52 win over Wisconsin

Who is the ultra-high usage player in that P&R chart?

Evan Fisher at Siena.

1 Like

Has anyone on the Wolverines improved more since the start of the season than Jon Teske? I can’t think of anyone.

3 Likes

At this point, I think he’s the odds on favorite for B1G MIP!

Maybe Mitch, but that was more conditioning than anything. Also I don’t even remember enough about the start of that season to know how he was.

Jordan Poole will probably be up there too.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear on that. I meant this year’s team.

@umhoops just wanted to say that the content on this site continues to be OUTSTANDING. As a long time reader of UM Hoops, I’m constantly impressed by the analysis and writing. Keep up the good work.

7 Likes

Thanks @GregGoBlue! Appreciate the kind words.

Have you seen the cat running that p n r with him? Freshman Jalen Pickett from around the corner from me. Kid is a beast. I couldn’t figure out why no one was recruiting him and now he’s one of the better freshmen in the country.

He didn’t garner a lot of attention at city rocks because he was overshadowed by big names but he was the pg and glue guy who played his role perfectly. Sometimes it hurts you to play winnning ball over selfishness.

If he looks to transfer he’s the perfect coach b guy. Sign us up.

Haven’t watched a ton of (any… if we’re being honest) Siena hoops, but have noticed his name on a lot of the pick and roll leaderboards this year. Kid is No. 2 in the country in points created out of ball screens.

can you explain the x-axis of the first chart on Teske’s scoring … does the width of the various buckets (p’n’roll, cut, jump short, etc) reflect the volume of points scored in that fashion? Is there a scale? If so, I suppose it adds up to whatever his scoring average is so you can reverse calculate a bit. Anyway, that’s an interesting graphic, I think.

1 Like

Should add a better label. The width represents percentage of plays. So it adds to 100%.

The height is points per play and then the color represents how that efficiency ranks compared to rest of D1.

Note points per play not possession. Synergy counts an offensive rebound as a new play.

For those posters who ARE interested in the reffing and Davison’s flops there’s some interesting commentary on both of the UMHoops pieces today, including this great quote by Greg Gard about Davison’s flops:

“You’ve got to pick and choose when you do it. You’ve got to make sure you take the contact first before you fall. There’s an art to it."

Brian takes umbrage at this; I’d say both that it’s true and that, in their day, some Michigan players have been pretty good at it themselves.

2 Likes

Exhibit A to my recollection on your last point - Novak playing as an undersized 4 I recall getting charge calls in his favor more than few times. shrug

1 Like

Zack Novak literally fouled out of a game by flopping five times.

5 Likes

I mean, I remembered something like that, but couldn’t remember the exact situation. I wasn’t going to be so blunt about it. But since you own the site, I’m sure you are given leeway in that regard :).

1 Like

:rofl: a true classic. I love the yell on each one.

8 Likes

He was also 0-10 that game, but we won! Might be the worst played game by a Michigan player in the Beilein era.

To me, there’s a difference between a flop and drawing a charge. A flop is when no contact or minimal contact occurs and a player has an unequivocal reaction to the amount of contact that occurred. This should award a foul to the flopping player. Drawing a charge is when significant contact occurs and the defending player falls to the ground even if they could have attempted to maintain balance. Unfortunately this occurs because refs almost never call a charge unless a player hits the ground. So I completely understand why players do this. Obviously it’s not always easy to tell what is what, especially in live action.

It’s like in soccer when players “dive.” Some dives are completely fabricated by the player that is “fouled”. But in many cases, the whistle won’t be blown unless the player that is fouled stops making an attempt to play the ball or goes to ground. We want players to play through contact but they’re often not rewarded for doing so, which is why they go to ground.

1 Like