This recent Trey Burke talk of him dropping in the draft

is so typical of the drafting process. The further you get from games, the more the teams start to base things on measurables rather than production. Then they wonder why the guy who showed great athleticism in workouts but wasnt as productive in the college isnt that good in the nba.

This is not to say that you dont have to be a good athlete to succeed in the nba even if you were a good college player (i.e. adam morrison), but i think burke is definitely athletic enough to transition.

He’ll still be rich and it just means he’ll end up on a better team that’s getting the steal of the draft.

Well, if he dropped to the Pistons at 8, I wouldn’t be upset. Hah. The Stones might have to move Knight at that point though, because that back court would be ridiculously tiny and defensively challenged.

Im not a pistons fan, but I think Knight would be a better fit at the 2 and would be better able to guard 2’s

Im not a pistons fan, but I think Knight would be a better fit at the 2 and would be better able to guard 2's

While he might be a better fit at the 2 guard offensively, there’s no question that he’d be a huge defensive liability.

The bottom line is that he struggles at times guarding other point guards due to his size, and he’s only 6’3" 190lbs.

Here are the some of the other 2 guards in the East…

Paul George 6’9" 220lbs

Dion Waiters 6’4" 215lbs

Jimmy Butler 6’7" 220lbs

J.R. Smith 6’6" 220lbs

DeMar Derozan 6’7" 215lbs

Jason Richardson 6’6" 225lbs

Joe Johnson 6’7" 240lbs

Dwayne Wade 6’4" 220lbs

Bradley Beal 6’5" 210lbs

Monta Ellis 6’3" 190lbs

Nate Robinson 5’9" 180lbs

He is at a massive disadvantage defensively against almost every 2 guard in the East due to his stature, and the guys that he matches up well with in terms of size, like Monta and Nate, have a massive quickness/speed advantage over him.

While I’d love to see the Pistons draft Burke, having 2 guys in your backcourt with massive size and athleticism disadvantages relative to their position is too much to overcome. They would either have to move Knight to the bench as a 6th man, or trade him.

The Pistons might be better off drafting someone like Michael Carter-Williams to play point over Burke, because at 6’6" 190lbs, he has the size to guard the 2 while playing the 1 on offense, so BK can play the 2 on O and guard the 1 on D.

Knight is a combo guard off the bench IMO. And that is fine. Pistons need shooting and PG if they don’t bring back Calderon. Don’t really like who is supposed to be available for the Pistons so even though I don’t think Burke is a great fit b/c of his size, I would definitely take him if he is there

He will get drafted wherever he gets drafted. I don’t know why everyone frets so much about draft position. It is what it is.

Im not a pistons fan, but I think Knight would be a better fit at the 2 and would be better able to guard 2's

While he might be a better fit at the 2 guard offensively, there’s no question that he’d be a huge defensive liability.

The bottom line is that he struggles at times guarding other point guards due to his size, and he’s only 6’3" 190lbs.

Paul George 6’9" 220lbs

Dion Waiters 6’4" 215lbs

Jimmy Butler 6’7" 220lbs

J.R. Smith 6’6" 220lbs

Joe Johnson 6’7" 240lbs

Dwayne Wade 6’4" 220lbs

Bradley Beal 6’5" 210lbs

Monta Ellis 6’3" 190lbs

He is at a massive disadvantage defensively against almost every 2 guard in the East due to his stature, and the guys that he matches up well with in terms of size, like Monta and Nate, have a massive quickness/speed advantage over him.

While I’d love to see the Pistons draft Burke, having 2 guys in your backcourt with massive size and athleticism disadvantages relative to their position is too much to overcome. They would either have to move Knight to the bench as a 6th man, or trade him.

The Pistons might be better off drafting someone like Michael Carter-Williams to play point over Burke, because at 6’6" 190lbs, he has the size to guard the 2 while playing the 1 on offense, so BK can play the 2 on O and guard the 1 on D.

Alot of the guys you mention play a ton of 3… Teams have gone small for large stages of games and found success doing it… The Knicks started prigioni at the 2 and were very successful doing it

Paul George 6’9" 220lbs

Dion Waiters 6’4" 215lbs

Jimmy Butler 6’7" 220lbs

J.R. Smith 6’6" 220lbs

Joe Johnson 6’7" 240lbs

Dwayne Wade 6’4" 220lbs

Bradley Beal 6’5" 210lbs

Monta Ellis 6’3" 190lbs

Alot of the guys you mention play a ton of 3… Teams have gone small for large stages of games and found success doing it… The Knicks started prigioni at the 2 and were very successful doing it

Some of those guys do play a bit of 3 in small ball lineups, but the difference is that most of those teams have big guards, or don’t lack the size deficiency the Pistons would have.

For example, when Paul George plays the 3, a lot of times it’s Lance Stephenson at the 2, who is 6’5" 230lbs (or Danny Granger when he comes back, 6’8" 230lbs). Rarely, if ever do you see DJ Augustin and George Hill on the floor at the same time, which would be the equivalent of Burke and Knight playing together.

The Bulls were really banged up, but ideally, they have DRose out there with Rip. I don’t think they’d use DRose and Nate too much on the floor together.

The Knicks did play Prigioni at the 2 quite a bit, but he was maybe the worst player in the entire playoffs who go consistent minutes (Jason Kidd was equally bad). Seriously, in the Pacers series his game log is a nightmare. They also more or less used him out of necessity, not because they wanted to.

The best comparison is probably the Bucks, with Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis, and there is reason they have been trying to shop one of those guys, because as exciting as they might be to watch offensively, they are a sieve defensively (in addition to being fairly inefficient offensively).

Paul George 6’9" 220lbs

Dion Waiters 6’4" 215lbs

Jimmy Butler 6’7" 220lbs

J.R. Smith 6’6" 220lbs

Joe Johnson 6’7" 240lbs

Dwayne Wade 6’4" 220lbs

Bradley Beal 6’5" 210lbs

Monta Ellis 6’3" 190lbs

Some of those guys do play a bit of 3 in small ball lineups, but the difference is that most of those teams have big guards, or don’t lack the size deficiency the Pistons would have.

For example, when Paul George plays the 3, a lot of times it’s Lance Stephenson at the 2, who is 6’5" 230lbs (or Danny Granger when he comes back, 6’8" 230lbs). Rarely, if ever do you see DJ Augustin and George Hill on the floor at the same time, which would be the equivalent of Burke and Knight playing together.

The Bulls were really banged up, but ideally, they have DRose out there with Rip. I don’t think they’d use DRose and Nate too much on the floor together.

The Knicks did play Prigioni at the 2 quite a bit, but he was maybe the worst player in the entire playoffs who go consistent minutes (Jason Kidd was equally bad). Seriously, in the Pacers series his game log is a nightmare. They also more or less used him out of necessity, not because they wanted to.

The best comparison is probably the Bucks, with Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis, and there is reason they have been trying to shop one of those guys, because as exciting as they might be to watch offensively, they are a sieve defensively (in addition to being fairly inefficient offensively).

Im a knicks fan and as someone who watched him all year i couldnt disagree more about prigioni. Him being on the floor was a big help to their ball movement. They absolutely took off in the second half of the year when he entered the starting lineup. The reason they lost to the Pacers is because the JR from the last two months of the season didnt show up and Chandler got abused by Hibbert.

Heres a breakdown the wall street journal did of Prigioni’s impact on the team Why Anthony Needs Prigioni - WSJ

I think the Pistons could get away with Burke and Knight but they def would need to address the SF position or perhaps they could bring Knight off the bench as a combo guard. I dont think the combo would be that bad.

Pistons did it with isaiah & joey d. We might be able to pull it off,hell get burke then draft thjr in the 2nd rnd if he is available. Just hopin… :slight_smile:

See here’s the thing about the gurus who say MCW is going before Burke. They say he has the size and athleticism over Burke. But the dude has no shot. He reminds me of Darius Morris in that regard but Morris was and is a much better passer. I dont care if he can get his shot off nc he is six four, if you cant shoot by the time youve played a year or two of D1 ball, you arent suddenly going to learn how in the league.