Starting lineup and minutes

Just a speculation, but perhaps the “MAAR debate” comes from an uneasiness about a strongly perimeter-centric system and a certain relief at having an anomalous player whose instincts are to drive, attack the rim and get to the line. The other nice thing about MAAR is he defies the narrative about the unheralded JB recruit whose talents are more cerebral than athletic – MAAR may be one of the least heralded recruits in M history but he still possesses fairly impressive tools that would appear to translate to a high ceiling. (Obviously same could be said for Caris except he was much less obscure.) Just speculation but perhaps something to consider.

1 Like

When you can’t even admit that MAAR has struggled on the offensive end, you may want to re-check your objectivity.

You can talk about him getting to the rim all you want, but he is neither making his shots nor creating shots for others. I’ll keep these numbers simple at the risk of being called out for using advanced stats (that aren’t kind to MAAR).

MAAR:
36.4% from the field.
4 assists in 104 minutes.
4 free throw attempts in 104 minutes.

Walton:
52.6% from the field.
25 assists in 185 minutes.
17 free throw attempts in 185 minutes.

I mean, the difference in how the two have been producing offensively is obvious both by the eye test and by stats. I don’t get why people are so reluctant to admit that MAAR has struggled on that end of the floor.

Should be a good opp. for MAAR to get some quality PT today if Walton sits.

This isn’t a MAAR vs Walton argument. I don’t think there’s a single person saying MAAR is a better offensive player than Walton. If MAAR were to cut into Walton’s minutes, I would hope it wouldn’t be more than 2-3 minutes a game.

I would like to see MAAR worked into the lineup outside of just resting Walton or Caris. There’s a numbers crunch, I get that. I’m hoping MAAR earns more minutes by the start of the Big Ten. We need his defense and his ability to draw fouls.

MAAR getting his start today with Walton out. Let’s see how he plays. Thought he’s put together a couple good games in a row after some average ones early in the Bahamas.

1 Like

If we are counting on MAAR to be Caris next year we are completely screwed

1 Like

Caris role is probably the wrong way to say that. Offense will run through Walton and Irvin, but MAAR will play big minutes at the off guard.

I’m guessing WAY too early that we see a starting 5 next year of:

1. Walton
  2. Irvin
  3. Robinson
  4. Dawkins
  5. Wagner

MAAR first off the bench for either Robinson or Dawkins. Irvin slides to the 3 in that case.

Xavier backing up Walton. Doyle first big man off the bench.

Not sure how the minutes would project right now for DJ Wilson, Chatman and Ibi Watson.

I worry about that lineup guarding opposing off guards which is why I think MAAR has to be playing a lot of minutes if not starting. Then again, LeVert hasn’t necessarily been great defensively this year either.

We’re Michigan…when have defensive concerns ever been a priority!!! :sunglasses:

Unless Dawkins or Robinson can develop the ability to put the ball on the deck and drive ot the basket, I have a hard time seeing them both start. I would prefer to have two guys that can penetrate in the lineup at most times. I know Irvin showed he was a little more diverse than previously thought last season, but it’s still not a main part of his game.

1 Like

I think early last year showed us that Beilein will start someone at the 3 with Irvin who hadn’t proved the ability to take the ball to the basket or create.

1 Like

But Walton also started so you had two players that can consistently penetrate in him and Caris. The lineup you proposed would only have one. I think that lineup is too one-dimensional with three spot up shooters in Irvin, Robinson and Dawkins.

And I’m not saying that JB won’t throw out that lineup. I just don’t think it’s preferred or would be our best lineup.

Duncan needs to come off the bench. If Dawkins gets going early in a game he needs more run. His length and athleticism is the best o. The team and his rebounding is needed. Wagner’s energy is awesome coming off the bench and his body can’t take the beating of a full workload just yet.

saw that Doyle is addressing the butterfingers (due to sweat) with rosin bags, towels and just keeping his hands as dry as possible. The dude is a sweatbucket. This really small detail could really up his contribution to the team: Catching more balls leads to more made buckets and rebounds leads to higher confidence leads fora guy who has a high motor who is contributing in a significant way with a bit of confidence. I am hopeful at least…

1 Like

That team will get destroyed on defense and on the boards. Its hard to see us being anything more than a middle of the conference team in 2016 and beyond until recruiting picks up.

That’s fair. I agree MAAR has to have a big role next year, because at this point Robinson, Dawkins and Irvin are all too one-dimensional. They can all improve, of course, but MAAR is the only clear drive and dish guy beyond Walton at this point.

Abdur-Rahkamn: 5 assists in 137 minutes
Irvin: 20 assists in 181 minutes

Irvin has kind of swung the other way. Right now he’s been good at finishing at the basket and passing the ball. Just can’t shoot.

2 Likes