Sounds like Jay Smith could be joining Juwan Howard's staff

3 Likes

Smith was a Michigan assistant coach from 1989 through 1996, so he obviously has ties to Juwan and U-M. His name has been floated for a while now as a potential member of the staff.

1 Like

I don’t know him personally but I’m involved in the high school basketball scene in Kalamazoo so I’ve been a part of some camps at K College. He’s a really nice guy every time I’ve crossed paths.

I believe he has been undergoing cancer treatment for the last year or so.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that this will be as a Director of Player Personnel role that Chinedu Nwachukwu held down for the last couple of years.

2 Likes

Is Hunter confirmed as returning as DOBO?

Let’s play Jeopardy…Who is all time leading scorer in Michigan boys high school basketball?

Not confirmed but that’s my understanding.

I think it just got confirmed…(Chris Hunter that is, along with Jaaron Simmons as graduate manager)

University of Michigan David and Meredith Kaplan Men’s Basketball Coach Juwan Howard announced Monday (July 15) the hiring of Jay Smith as the Wolverines’ director of player personnel and development.

In addition to Smith’s return to U-M, Howard retained Chris Hunter as the program’s director of basketball operations and added David Metzendorf as the video analyst and Jaaron Simmons as the graduate manager.

3 Likes

In Martelli’s intro video from a while back, he said, “I’m working with Juwan Howard. I’m working with Saddi. I’m working with Howard Eisley. I’m working with Chris Hunter.”

1 Like

Staff additions are announced.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

This will be a huge move. Just wait!!