Solly Stansbury

Why would he have to sit out a year?

Not 100% on the details, but I believe thereā€™s an NCAA rule about sitting out a season if you take a gap year. Maybe some kind of waiver is available? Iā€™m honestly not sure.

Weird. But I guess I should not be surprised. The NCAA is all about weird rules.

Did we offer?

With so little tape, my view on this is very much tied to how the NCAA would view his case b/c if he could help with playable depth in 16 he wouldnā€™t have as much of a high hurdle to clear in taking away a ship from 17 onwards. I guess the staff has a view on how to interpret this, and seem willingā€¦ have to give them the benefit of the doubt, but would love to not take spots away from 17 w/o clear rationale to avoid a langford type situation.

That situation still confuses me. I get we needed a pg but with top talents like Langford and battle you take them both and worry about the rest later.

Based on limited info, seems like an OK fit in terms of his skills and our needs but I do find it puzzling that a program that is so cautious about the HS prospects it pursues (slow, deliberate evaluation and few offers extended) also swoops in on these oddball prospects with big question marks around eligibility and level of competition.

Not that I disagree with it but it I do find it incongruous. I do hope we get Matthews.

What prospects has Michigan swooped in for with eligibility concerns in the past? Moritz Wagner I guess, but that was pretty deliberate courtship it just wasnā€™t very public.

If you are just talking about generic late adds like MAAR, Caris, Aubrey, etc. that is naturally because there just isnā€™t much time for both parties to make a decision based on the calendar. Think you can look around the whole country and see a lot of late adds that might be stretches ā€“ some work, others donā€™t.

It may not be a very important point but if he canā€™t play till 2017 I donā€™t know why weā€™d risk losing a higher-upside 2017 wing with more eligibility.

1 Like

I think you certainly have to weigh any move against 2017 optionsā€¦ If you were to take two guys that would leave two additional spots in 2017 to go along with Poole. Assuming no other attrition.

Thatā€™s not a tiny classā€¦ but it isnā€™t huge either. On the other hand you are going to need guys ready to play in 2017-18 with two starters graduating that are basically 35 minute per game guys. Could at least make a case that guys like Matthews/Stansbury could be more ready to make an impact if they have a year to develop in the system.

Stansbury looked solid to me better than some 17s we were looking at but then again heā€™s basically a senior so Iā€™d hope so.

I think it is kind of funny how hung up on Matthews everyone here is. Sure he is a great athlete, but he is leaving UK because he was extremely unproductive as a frosh and was going to get passed over by most of their incoming class for minutes.

In his limited highlights Stansbury at least appears to have a better jumper, which is pretty important in JBs system.

Sure, he was going to get passed over because their incoming class consists of 5-stars Malik Monk and Wenyen Gabriel on the wing. He didnā€™t get a chance in UKā€™s one-and-done machine. That said, heā€™s is a very solid prospect. If you liked GR3, youā€™ll like Matthews (who I think is ultimately more versatile as he can handle the ball). It will be a big disappointment if we donā€™t land him.

1 Like

If Stansbury is announcing on Friday and Matthews still has to visit Xavier before he decides, how does that work? Do you think thereā€™s any chance they take both? Seems it would be a bit redundant, negatively effect 2017 wing recruiting, and rule out a grad transfer or other immediately-eligible pickup for 2016.

So I am assuming Stansbury goes to Cincy.

Iā€™m hung up on Mathews too. Think about who they have, had, and whoā€™s coming in. Heā€™ll be a bench player for sure. Thatā€™s more of a credit to them then a detriment to Charles imo. That said stansbury has some things that look nice too, but he is 22.

Regarding eligibility questions: guessing heā€™s referring to Baruti

Who Michigan didnā€™t offer.

Why do you have to guess when he can just answer lol

Benzing? I guess you could include Baruti in that as he had to write a test.

Donā€™t really get how Baruti is an example when they never offered him (original post seemed to be about offering people). Benzing was I guessā€¦ in 2008.