Rothstein at practice…

Not much groundbreaking there…

9 Likes
8 Likes

Obviously I like the TWill love because he might fill some needs at the wing…I do wish he commented on his shooting more than “great feel for the game”. That’s important and I think it is what got him minutes later year along with his effort - I just want to see him grow those other skills too. We’ll see - definitely going to get opportunities this year.

3 Likes

TWill is not a small ball 4. He’s a very normal shaped 4 by most standards. Nothing unique about what he’d bring honestly

Basically none of that was remotely groundbreaking. I could have tweeted all of that from my couch

10 Likes

But this is October!

15 Likes

I mean, he’s like 6-5 and that’s a lot smaller than Brandon Johns, right? Wouldn’t we say that Jacob Grandison is a small four?

5 Likes

Yeah but the real skill is getting paid to do it

8 Likes

I think the real takeaway here is that we sleep in May

15 Likes

small but not necessarily small ball. T-Will doesn’t have better on-ball skills than BJJ.

6 Likes

Meaning what, exactly?

2 Likes

small ball 4 trades size for skills. Skill wise, T-Will is a normal 4.

1 Like

Hmmm, I don’t think I’d call his offensive game a “normal 4” in the sense that he doesn’t play with his back to the basket or anything like that.

I think he’s more perimeter-oriented than a power forward but most people don’t play true power forwards now.

I’m fairly intrigued by a Houstan/Williams 3/4 or 4/3 combo, personally, but a lot depends on how Terrance shoots it.

3 Likes

That seems reasonable to me, at least if you accept the implication that small ball is a synonym for four-out offense. But maybe not everyone equates small ball with that?

Normal 4s play with their back to the basket? In 1990 maybe. That was my point. As far as a modern 4 goes I don’t see him as particularly small. He’s listed 6’7 230 which is an inch and 10 pounds less than BJJ is listed. I know he’s likely not quite 6’7 but neither is any player listed at 6’7. And being as solidly built as Terrance keeps the small moniker away imo

5 Likes

I believe I wrote this somewhere else already but Williams / Houstan is my prediction for starting 3/4 by start of big ten games. I also agree that can go either way.

Regardless of what he is listed at, Martelli said he’s 6’5 which is a small 4 any way you slice it. Doesn’t mean he can’t compete there though. Not many teams have 4s that are taller than 6’7-6’8

2 Likes

Bonzi Colson was 6’6 and a monster inside for Notre Dame in the ACC.

6 Likes

So was Grant Williams. It would be amazing if TWill is the same. Those guys were known for being undersized bigs though.

3 Likes
  1. T-will maybe an undersize 4, but he is not much undersized compared to Livers and Iggy.
  2. The original post by Rothstein used term “small ball 4” and from my understanding the term “small ball” is not equivalent to playing undersized players, it refers to playing smaller players with ball skills better than average for that position.
3 Likes
7 Likes