Report: Michigan to face NC State in Big Ten-ACC Challenge

Hearing NC State will host Michigan in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge... not sure when it will be officially announced.

— Pack Pride (@PackPride) May 13, 2015

So the 3rd time against NC State, 2nd time at NC State. When can the conference get out of this agreement?

I believe it should be Big 10/ACC challenge not the other way around because the B1G won last year. Isn’t that how it works?

Definitely don’t know as much about NC State this year as the last time we played them, but any trip to Tobacco Road will be tough.

Not bad. Should be a pretty high profile match up and could be a road win, if we could get it, that would look good at the end of the season.

Looking like a pretty brutal travel schedule:

Atlantis over Thanksgiving, back home for a few days then off to Raleigh. They will probably have a home game that weekend and then off to Dallas to face SMU the next Tuesday.

Looking like a pretty brutal travel schedule:

Atlantis over Thanksgiving, back home for a few days then off to Raleigh. They will probably have a home game that weekend and then off to Dallas to face SMU the next Tuesday.

Yup. In addition, while it’s not travel, we play Xavier at home right before the trip to Atlantis. That’s 5 or 6 games in 18 days against good teams–we won’t come through unscathed, but it should prepare us for the Big Ten gauntlet.

Yep… Not to mention that the gauntlet kind of coincides with where Michigan’s whole season sort of fell apart this year.

Just keep everyone healthy and get them rest. No broken feet!

NC St while a bit underwhelming is at least a chance at a W, whereas a higher profile game would have been much less likely. … on the brightside

Definitely a difficult schedule but no real “marquee” (i.e., top-10-ish) opponents on the slate as far as I can tell. Gonzaga, who they could meet in the Bahamas, seems most likely to fit the bill but they lose Pangos.

Perhaps a bit like the schedule in fall 2012, when Michigan defied expectations and ran the noncon table (incl. 5 or 6 high-majors) but didn’t get much national respect for it.

Definitely a difficult schedule but no real "marquee" (i.e., top-10-ish) opponents on the slate as far as I can tell. Gonzaga, who they could meet in the Bahamas, seems most likely to fit the bill but they lose Pangos.

Perhaps a bit like the schedule in fall 2012, when Michigan defied expectations and ran the noncon table (incl. 5 or 6 high-majors) but didn’t get much national respect for it.

Wasn’t Michigan top five throughout the fall that year?

I think they climbed to #2 by new year’s but I remember reading a bunch of stories about how they hadn’t played anybody and would be exposed in the Big Ten play (which they were, to a degree). If I recall, Pitt and KSU were supposed to be in off years but ended up being decent. The B10 affords more than enough opportunities for resume wins but I do like playing the odd Arizona and Duke-level team before Christmas.

My picks on the announced matchups

Minny over Clemson
Rutgers over WF
UNC over Maryland
Virginia over OSU
Michigan over NCSt.
Purdue over Pitt
VT over NW
Miami over Nebraska
Duke over Indiana
MSU over Louisville
Wisconsin over Syracuse
ND over Illinois
Iowa over FSU
BC over PSU

and upon looking at the games as a whole, looks like I picked a tie outcome.

lame. How about someone new? How about ND or Louisville or NC?

I would definitely like a shot at UNC, maybe we’ll get them next year at home crosses fingers.

I would definitely like a shot at UNC, maybe we’ll get them next year at home crosses fingers.

I’d love to see us play UNC for entertainment, but they are possibly the worst matchup for us. They are one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country, play 2 big men at a time, and pound the ball into the post pretty effectively.

I think they climbed to #2 by new year's but I remember reading a bunch of stories about how they hadn't played anybody and would be exposed in the Big Ten play (which they were, to a degree). If I recall, Pitt and KSU were supposed to be in off years but ended up being decent. The B10 affords more than enough opportunities for resume wins but I do like playing the odd Arizona and Duke-level team before Christmas.

You’re misremembering. Michigan was given respect, Burke was seen as the player of the year favorite, and pretty much everything I read back then was about how lethal the offense was. Michigan was actually ranked #1 at one point during that season.

Michigan was ranked No.1 before the game at Assembly Hall which was 1 v 2.

I remember the Burke vs. Michael Carter Williams debates raging on that year.