Report: Graduate transfer Justin Pierce to visit Michigan

Commit to Mich?

3 Likes

Are you playing with us, or is this legit. And what umbob1 asked!

Sam Webb mentioned on the WTKA show this morning that ā€œNotre Dame has been the buzz for Justin Pierceā€ but that heā€™s talking to him soon and will have a clearer picture after that.

so the thoughts are they heā€™s leaning ND then?

Thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve heard of that being the case (I had to do a double take), but given Webbā€™s history I have no reason to doubt it. Should be reinforced that he said this was the buzz heading into the Michigan visit and that he hasnā€™t spoken to him since heā€™s been to Ann Arbor.

When Pierceā€™s recruitment originally began, the buzz was that he was 100% going to ND and would likely commit to them during the visitā€¦ And then he set up visits to Michigan and UNC. So, hard to know whether Samā€™s info is outdated or not.

3 Likes

Hopefully Matt Ryan is a target as well

2 Likes

I like Ryan as a better fit for UM than Pierce

Also, random: I was told that Jaevin Cumberland thought he was going to get a visit to Michigan and was a target.

I havenā€™t heard that from anywhere else, so it might have just been wishful thinking on his part, but I could see us pivoting to Cumberland if Pierce says no.

Cumberland being an Oakland kid is a red flag for no reason other than Michigan generally doesnā€™t look at the same players that you hear in the mix for Oakland. That goes for most mid-major kids looked at by in-state mid-majors unless itā€™s also an in-state kid. Think guys like Nunez and Hyland, both looked at by more east coast centric schools. I think heā€™s a Cincinnati lock if he hasnā€™t committed already.

He said he got a ā€œvery positiveā€ update on Michiganā€™s standing.

Full post ($$$):

1 Like

I havenā€™t heard any news on Cincinnati recruiting him despite the obvious links. If they donā€™t experience any more attrition, particularly at the wing spots, I donā€™t think theyā€™d be a very attractive option for him with regards to playing time.

He seems to be fair game at this point.

New coach plus his bro declared for the draft, though, so that may have cut the link to that program?

I have no idea, just thinking out loud.

Cincy has a new staff. They brought over the head coach and one or two assistants from Northern Kentucky. That may have an impact on Cumberlandā€™s decision to go there.

Nice for former Northern Kentucky HC and assistants. Only about 10 mile distance between the two schools

2 Likes

Literally just across the Ohio River!

Iā€™m having flashbacks to last year when Cole Anthony vs. Zavier Simpson was a conversation. Sounds like Pierce may be choosing between playing alongside Simpson or playing alongside Anthony at UNC (among many other factors)

1 Like

Pierceā€™s decision is fairly interesting. It looks like heā€™ll be guaranteed major minutes no matter where he goes. A choice between relationships, best fit, and blue blood allure.

Heā€™s probably a good fit too at unc which has me worried. Honestly it looks like he could get major minutes anywhere. Iā€™m hoping we can sell him on being the most ready to win but unc should be good too.

UNC will probably be filling another scholarship tonight with former Va Tech commit Anthony Harris. Donā€™t know if thereā€™s enough scholarships available with all the guys they are still recruiting. Could be a first come, first serve move.