Report: Brandon Johns Jr. enters the transfer portal

He’s gotta choose his school carefully. Big variation of possible outcomes for him. Might do well on a team that plays more positionless basketball than we do with roving athletes in the froncourt, like some Big 12 teams.

I would think he transfers down 1 or 2 levels – maybe to a local school? – where he can make more of an impact, but I guess we’ll see.

2 Likes

by levels you mean low-major D1? or like Hope College?

3 Likes

Glad to see stuff like that. My daughter’s first game had Johns on the ticket, which is, naturally, framed in her room. He’ll be indelibly linked to her fandom

2 Likes

LOL, yes I mean lower on the conference scale. Go to Oakland or go play for a MAC school and put up some numbers.

9 Likes

Yeah a lot of kids love him.

Not sure I have been specific with this before but I have a young cousin in Ann Arbor who idolizes him. Johns has always given him a lot of love and attention. He remembers his name every time, picks him up to make him dunk, etc. He’s just a healthy local kid too, it’s not like a Make-a-Wish situation. Johns is just really kind all the time.

37 Likes

Hope this is a choice he is intent on and wasn’t set on staying. I will miss him.

2 Likes

I remember watching his entire press conference at preview day or whatever at the start of the season, and he’s clearly a very thoughtful guy - he talked a lot about his struggles with confidence. it was hard not to think about that every time i watched him play this year, and to wonder how he was dealing with it. i genuinely hope he’s reached a point where it doesn’t bother him as much.

6 Likes

I could see him going to a lesser regarded program in a major conference. He visited and was offered by Pitt and Cal. Texas offered him as well and one of the initial reports was from a Texas insider. Maybe a DePaul, Penn State, Nebraska, Boston College tier team?

This is one of my favorite all time posts, BB! Thanks!

I’ve always been a supporter of Brandon, too. There is no question that his career at Michigan wasn’t what he envisioned when he came here, and I’m sure that’s disappointing to him, but he is a talented young man and I hope he has great success wherever he goes. He really is an outstanding young man, and I wish him well both on the basketball floor, in the classroom, and throughout his life! :blue_heart:

9 Likes

Good luck Brandon and hope you do great next year. Thanks so much for all the work and effort you put into your Michigan career.

2 Likes

Thing is, when you’re a 5th year guy it’s never fully up to you. Just how it is. And considering we currently don’t have a spot there was no other way for this to end whether it was his first choice or not

3 Likes

I wish Johns nothing but the best! I’ll be rooting for him next year wherever he lands

3 Likes

A transfer down to a more local school you say? That leaves Michigan State or Lansing Community College…

1 Like

ooh, hope he goes to Cal. Or some team that he can take to the tourney.

why would you wish Cal upon him???

1 Like

Was the new WMU coach his primary recruiter for MSU?

2 Likes

Based on no information at all, I wonder if Brandon will consider playing for one of the coaches who recruited him. If Saddi doesn’t take a job elsewhere, that would leave Yaklich at Illinois-Chicago, or Haynes, on Shaka’s staff at Marquette. Two very different destinations, indeed.

I will miss Brandon, though probably not as much as the legion of haters who are now no doubt updating their boilerplate. Who will next season’s scapegoat be? I can hardly wait for the explosion of angry posts detailing how Will Tschetter’s two minute first half shift was the obvious cause of a Michigan loss…

Great school, nice weather. Having a Berkeley masters with his UM BS would set him up well for the future.

And who knows, he might feel like a god in that locker room and lead them to a Tournament appearance.

5 Likes

Yaklich and Haynes didn’t recruit Johns, they joined after Johns Committed. Donlon and Meyer were on staff when he was being recruited.

4 Likes