Recruiting Roundup: Michigan evaluating late-rising 2019 big man

I tend to agree, and tend to trust Beilein the least with centers. Obviously bigs in general are really hit and miss but beilein has had a lot of centers that people questioned as takes bomb out of the program.

Cronin, Davis, Mclimans, Biefeldt all did and Morgan was really the only one that hit

That’s a great point about rim protection; especially with the emphasis on “verticality” sweeping across the officiating world.

Skogman looks like the type of dude who is a thorn in our side at schools like Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota for 4 years.

It’ll be fun to see how the 5 position recruiting pans out.

Dumb question (as I just don’t know Wisconsin’s roster and recruiting very well, beyond Reuvers)…any reason why Skogman isn’t on the Badgers’ radar? Seems he fits their mold as well.

He is, just no offer yet. Believe they’ve been out to watch him a few times.

1 Like

Fair points on Cronin and McLimans; definitely forgot about Big Ben. In that context Coach’s track record isn’t so great.

The run of PGs is incredible…going back to Darius Morris. Wonder what’s fueling that? The leadership seems to be the common theme: Morris, Walton, Burke, Simpson all definitely had different games.

Cronin is more of an “incomplete” because of injury.

And Biefeldt was fine…he just took a while and ended up making a nice contribution (B1G sixth man of the year for a Sweet 16 Indiana squad) as a grad transfer elsewhere, which was actually Beilein’s call to not bring him back.

The bigger miss with Beifeldt is that Beilein chose him over Larry Nance Jr. if I recall correctly.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone hits 100%. For every Caris LeVert there is an Ibi Watson (or whatever). There’s some sort of a ratio between recruiting hits (especially late) and misses, it is just part of it.

I watched video expecting to be unimpressed and not commenting. Instead… I am very impressed. He is light on his feet, moves very well, and can shoot it appears. If he’s 6’10” he is a great prospect imo, even if he’s an inch or two shorter, I still like him. Definitely BIG caliber player. Didn’t see much vision exhibited but who knows on such a short video
Cardiac arrest, damn that’s scary. Best of luck to the young man.

People also questioned Wagner and Wilson, who turned out okay. Bielfeldt was a spring flyer for center depth, Cronin got injured.

Beilein also went after a lot of good centers who went elsewhere. Everyone has misses, of course, but the problem has probably been more JB attracting top tier prospects. Hopefully the successes of McGary, Wilson, Wagner, now Teske is changing that.

1 Like

Does his film remind anyone of Donnal?

I also thought he looked a lot like donnal and that is my fear, hard to tell from highlights but its seems like he floats on the perimeter and some of the finishing clips are concerning.

I don’t think McGary is the poster child for Michigan player development, given how quickly he flamed out due to his recreational substance habits. I doubt Beilein refers to him at all.

Getting guys drafted and to the league is a huge deal and selling point. I doubt Beilein shies away from referring to McGary. In fact, he referred to McGary four days ago after the MD game:

“You have the Caris LeVert, you have the D.J. Wilson and you’ve got the Mo Wagner’s. Who, as freshman, it’s tough for them to come in. Their bodies aren’t ready or there is people in front of them. It’s tough but they become tremendous players. Then you’ve got the Nik Stauskas, the Trey Burke’s and the Mitch McGary’s. Their bodies are ready and they come in. They’ve got guys like we have in 2013, guys that can come in and play.”

Maybe Mitch isn’t the first name off the tongue these days, but I would bet that he gets mentioned in the list of bigs that were 1st round draft picks. Mitch was probably one of the big early memories for some of these guys.

2 Likes

At what position has Beilein had the most misses? My gut was to say at center, but for every Ricky Doyle or Austin Davis (could yet succeed, but) there has been a slightly unlikely guy who Beilein has Rubik’s Cubed into something special.

Totally agree with you on this. IMO there will be 2 transfers and 1 leave for the NBA this spring. I will not speculate the players during the season on line because that makes for bad vibes team wise. We don’t need to mess with team chemistry at this point.

for every Ricky Doyle or Austin Davis (could yet succeed, but) there has been a slightly unlikely guy who Beilein has Rubik’s Cubed into something special

Idk about that, he has done that with guards and wings but centers have been a struggle, Morgan is really the only one. Mcgary (all world), Wilson(top 100 prospect), Teske (slipped a bit after we landed him but pretty much the entire b1g(sans msu) wanted him and he was top 100 prospect when we gained his commitment), and Wagner (European nba scout told Rivals analysts he was a top 40ish prospect if in the us) were all fairly highly regarded.

1 Like

Agreed. Not that it matters though. End of the day even if Michigan does offer Skogman I’ll trust Beilein. But Wagner was frequently labeled a top 50ish player if he was in the US before coming to Michigan. Teske had lots of Midwest High Majors pursuing him for awhile. Generally when Michigan has gone after under the radar bigs those have been the most likely to not pan out.

Wasn’t Morgan originally recruited by Amaker?

I would strongly disagree that going from a top 100 prospect to early entrant drafted #17 does not demonstrate development.

And just in case that’s too many negatives to follow…DJ Wilson’s draft result was way better than his recruiting ranking.

Jury is still out on Teske, obviously.

1 Like

I mean, of course the chances are better with highly ranked bigs, and I’m sure JB would prefer Kessler over Skogman.

Also, some (probably accidental) revisionist history. From the commit post, Teske had offers from OSU, Miami, and Dayton when he committed (interest from IU, PU, and Wisky), was not ranked by rivals or 247 and was a 3 star to scout.

DJ Wilson ended up 123 on the composite. At the time of his commitment was a three star to all the services and 162 on the composite.

Meanwhile, Wagner had not a single other offer from the United States, was unranked, and was getting some very meh reviews from some self-professed scouts on this forum.

4 Likes