Podcast: Former Big Ten MBB head Rick Boyages explains officiating; plus thoughts on Purdue, IU, and more

5 Likes

A real Ant Wright Eyes Emoji special here. Looking forward to listening.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed this one. Can’t promise I’ll whine less about officiating, but I’ll do my best!

5 Likes

Really good stuff, and I loved your question about the style of play and how it impacts officiating out of the conference and in the tourney.

Rick’s answer was that it’s the coaches style’s and recruiting that are different (which is true), but then admittedly said that they have to call games differently in conference than out of conference. So I feel just as conflicted about the B1G’s style winning a natty than I did before!

1 Like

I agree. He downplayed it then went through all the reasons that refs call games differently in the league :joy:

Different crew this year with Hightower running the show but definitely thought it was interesting.

1 Like

Great interview! Also, appreciate the time stamps so I could easily avoid Michigan-MSU discussion.

3 Likes

Yes, the Boyages discussion was outstanding. He was far more candid than I expected him to be.

Unfortunately, officiating being an old boys network (still is in many high school areas) is another reason for officiating being in crisis mode in a lot of places. In addition to having to regularly deal with crazy people, no opportunity of advancement has helped to create the state of minor sports officiating in 2023.

1 Like

Great podcast. The discussion with Boyages was very enlightening. I hope he does come back in the Mike Perreira role like Brendan joked about

Boyages was a GREAT interview. Answered every question with a productive answer and even came up with unprompted points consistently.

2 Likes

Gonna add to the chorus here and just say I really enjoyed listening to the pod as well. Would be cool to continue incorporating these kinds of interviews at least sporadically!

2 Likes

Definitely try to get Warde once he’s fired. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Get John Beilein on the pod.

I really enjoyed this one Dylan.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone – glad this one was a hit!

1 Like

Just wrapped up the interview with Rick - awesome awesome stuff. Was pleasantly surprised with his openness on some of these topics, but i guess the “former” title helps a lot with that :rofl:

1 Like

Also just wrapped up and thought Rick was a great guest. Very candid and upfront about many issues. Nice to see the curtain peeled back a bit to see what its like behind the scenes. Kudos to you guys for pulling this together!

1 Like

Piling on here. Just great stuff. It was interesting to hear him, a basketball lifer, reference about an old-boys network that he feels he’ll never be a part of.

2 Likes

Will add to the choir to say that the interview was great. I’m happy there is another member of the anti-two-foul-autobench club.

2 Likes

That 6 fouls (but you foul out if you get 4 in the first half) idea was interesting. Unless I heard that wrong.

4 Likes

I took it as the 4 first half fouls would eject you for the half…but I don’t know