No easy answers after Zavier Simpson's suspension

It was odd. I trust your theory is correct. I just enjoy watching the new guys play. The silver lining in guys not being able to play is that you get to see other guys. Victory with odd lineups is even more glorious!

1 Like

Iā€™m just not sure that anything has transpired that will cause you to see Bajema and not Nunez off the bench on the wing.

1 Like

This is 100% Pittsnogled being playful. I know this because this is exactly the type of thing I would say and Iā€™m rarely serious!

6 Likes

Okay, thatā€™s fair but I still think the general sentiment is that Bajema would be a potential answer. Obviously not the answer. The fact that he hasnā€™t played to this point despite the fact that Howard has played everyone else on the roster is a bit troubling. We donā€™t see practice, but it feels telling about how he is performing in practice.

And if thatā€™s the case, Christopher is a really big need for next year. The roster just does not have enough guards, especially if Bajema is somehow in over his head

2 Likes

I feel like Christopher is a big need for next year even if Bajema progresses well and is a rotation player. Donā€™t really see them filling similar roles.

2 Likes

has it been confirmed livers is out? Or no news yet?

Howardā€™s quotes are here:

Iā€™m not even talking about similar roles. Iā€™m just talking about existing bodies to put on the court at guard. We are about to watch a game tonight where they may play only 2 guards the whole game (I consider Nunez a 3 because he canā€™t really handle the ball). If Bajema somehow isnā€™t a high major player, they will have only 3 guards again next year, with one not being a sure thing to make an impact as a freshman.

2 Likes

Teske yesterday: ā€œIsaiah, too, even though heā€™s not playing, he can be another coach out there.ā€

Pretty sure you missed the sarcasm on that one

1 Like

I understand that there was sarcasm in his post but people have brought Bajema up repeatedly as a potential fix to Michiganā€™s issues. I just think it is worth pointing out how little heā€™s played.

Not that Iā€™m down on him long term either. I actually loved his game in high school. I do think the transition from small HS/non EYBL to Big Ten is very difficult.

X leads the nation in total assists and assists per game. If we were making shots at a decent clip, his assist numbers would be off the charts.

10 Likes

Is Bajema still potentially in line for a redshirt? Is is possible that his redshirt is being preserved intentionally (for transfer options) for review at seasonā€™s end?

1 Like

I wondered the same thing, but he has played in seven games. The rule for football was, of course, changed to participation in up to four games. I donā€™t know and wasnā€™t able to find the information with a cursory search, as to whether the basketball rule has been changed, too.

I do think itā€™s a bit unfair to surmise publicly that perhaps he isnā€™t cutting it in practice or hasnā€™t shown that he is ready. Iā€™m sure there are reasons he hasnā€™t played much, but we really donā€™t know what those reasons are. As always, we like to speculate, donā€™t we.

3 Likes

Not eligible for a redshirt. Played in the 14th game of the year and would have to have a documented injury if he were to shut it down before the first 30% of the year.

2 Likes

Juwan Howard has said that he is working hard in practice and will need to prove himself there to see the court. I donā€™t think that it is unfair to surmise that he hasnā€™t gotten to that point in practice based on those comments.

2 Likes

Is Wade eligible? He has some D1 experience at Duquesne.

No, he is not eligible until next season.

1 Like

IMO, could argue we could use another guard/wing who can create along with Christopher considering Dave is the only guy returning who has proved he can do some of that at this level. Got to think Zeb will take some time physically.