New Target: 2015 C Levi Cook

I hope Michigan was the offer he was looking for.

I hope Michigan was the offer he was looking for.

I think Cook is a guy much more talented that Rivals or Scout have him ranked (ESPN has him as a 4 star), but the weight is the obvious concern. Would love to add him to the team.

Does Cook remind anyone else of a bigger, more post-oriented, Glen 'Big Baby' Davis?

He looks more like Oliver Miller to me, what is his wingspan?

As for here he fits… competition is a good thing right? I do see where Donnal and Wilson could get minutes at the 4; especially if we wanted to go big.

Interesting. I wonder if this may mean a transfer is likely. There are 2 obvious candidates IMO. Or maybe it just means they move Hatch to medical and don’t give Donnal a 5th year. In any event of the kid is an upgrade you take him and worry about numbers later. They usually work themselves out.

Interesting. I wonder if this may mean a transfer is likely. There are 2 obvious candidates IMO. Or maybe it just means they move Hatch to medical and don't give Donnal a 5th year. In any event of the kid is an upgrade you take him and worry about numbers later. They usually work themselves out.

Totally agree, we need talent…worry about the logistics later. I could certainly see Donnal and/or Chatman looking elsewhere.

I think it’s interesting we’re wanting to add a big. If anything for 2015, I would think we’d want to add a guard but what do I know. Maybe they’re anticipating something. Seemed like the 2015 class we started pretty much just looking at 2-4 positions.

Seeing how talented that 2016 class is, I am a little concerned about using scholarships on non top talent kids. Especially for a position we currently have depth in.
I know our track record of recruiting 5 stars has not been good, but I would rather keep spots open for Brown in 2015, and some of the top talent we are pursuing in 2016, with a low probability of a commitment, than offering Cook who is kind of a wildcard at a position where 2 kids are currently evolving and getting better (and another one has promise for the future).

Just my own personal opinion.

If all you do is offer kids with low probability of commitment, when do you actually get commitments? You have to get talent from somewhere.

Seeing how talented that 2016 class is, I am a little concerned about using scholarships on non top talent kids. Especially for a position we currently have depth in. I know our track record of recruiting 5 stars has not been good, but I would rather keep spots open for Brown in 2015, and some of the top talent we are pursuing in 2016, with a low probability of a commitment, than offering Cook who is kind of a wildcard at a position where 2 kids are currently evolving and getting better (and another one has promise for the future).

Just my own personal opinion.

2-3 months ago, I would’ve certainly agreed with you. Reality is that we are not trending well with the 16 class in general, outside of Towns and Langford perhaps…and it’s not like we’re a lock for either one of those guys.

We simply can’t afford to pass talent up at this point. Cook can play, the only question is his conditioning.

I agree, it’s a balance… Because in the same regard, if all you do is offer under-rated kids with high probability of commitment, then the top talent kids won’t be interested anymore (due to playing time), or simply there won’t be any spots left on the roster.
Here it’s even more complicated, because it’s for a position where we have depth. I’m really afraid to see Teske reaction to this…

But I agree with your mentality too. It needs to be a balance.

I agree, it's a balance... Because in the same regard, if all you do is offer under-rated kids with high probability of commitment, then the top talent kids won't be interested anymore (due to playing time), or simply there won't be any spots left on the roster. Here it's even more complicated, because it's for a position where we have depth. I'm really afraid to see Teske reaction to this...

But I agree with your mentality too. It needs to be a balance.

See my response to this re: Teske reaction…Teske will no doubt need a RS year to add strength, so before he even plays a game, Doyle & Donnal will be seniors, and Cook a junior. He will have 2 years as ‘the guy’

Levi Cook lists Pitt, South Carolina, and Virginia Tech as those recruiting him the hardest. Michigan, Mizzou other HMs heavily involved.

— Matt Jessen-Howard (@mjessenhoward) January 27, 2015

2015 Huntington Prep C Levi Cook is taking an official visit to South Carolina this weekend & is working to set up visits to Pitt and Mizzou

— Matt Jessen-Howard (@mjessenhoward) January 27, 2015

I also find it interesting that he would even look at us…we don’t really use the 5 man like I think he could be used. Are we going to implement a true post game? Is he going to step out much on the floor for PnR?

Love to have him. Wondering about fit.

I also find it interesting that he would even look at us...we don't really use the 5 man like I think he could be used. Are we going to implement a true post game? Is he going to step out much on the floor for PnR?

JB - if you look at the trend in recent offers (Tyler Cook notably, and Teske to a lesser degree), I think JB may be aiming toward at least having a true post option or 2 in the future. I do think Cook has the ability to hit a mid range shot out to 16-17 feet. Definitely think you can use Levi in PnR, has really nice hands, and he is a great passer for his size.

I also find it interesting that he would even look at us...we don't really use the 5 man like I think he could be used. Are we going to implement a true post game? Is he going to step out much on the floor for PnR?

JB - if you look at the trend in recent offers (Tyler Cook notably, and Teske to a lesser degree), I think JB may be aiming toward at least having a true post option or 2 in the future. I do think Cook has the ability to hit a mid range shot out to 16-17 feet. Definitely think you can use Levi in PnR, has really nice hands, and he is a great passer for his size.

He seems to like contact and that bruising style. I could see him better fitting at Pitt IMO. Maybe he COULD do what we need but it would surprise me if that’s the style he’d want to play.

Some interesting comments but just wondering if Kentucky thinks they have too much duplication at any position? Or that a kid will not come because someone else is already there?

He seems to like contact and that bruising style. I could see him better fitting at Pitt IMO. Maybe he COULD do what we need but it would surprise me if that’s the style he’d want to play.

See that’s the thing, the system should change to fit the personnel, rather than vice versa.

In any event, I think we NEED a guy in the post where you can just dump the ball in and he can get a bucket…we don’t have that at this point. There is more than 1 way to create a quality look. It can be off PnR, but it can also be off a double in the post, where the post kicks it to an open wing or a cutting slasher. Cook’s footwork and passing in the post in HS is certainly superior to any big we have on the roster

See that’s the thing, the system should change to fit the personnel, rather than vice versa.

In any event, I think we NEED a guy in the post where you can just dump the ball in and he can get a bucket…we don’t have that at this point. There is more than 1 way to create a quality look. It can be off PnR, but it can also be off a double in the post, where the post kicks it to an open wing or a cutting slasher. Cook’s footwork and passing in the post in HS is certainly superior to any big we have on the roster

100 agree… post touches are important no matter the offense even if for no other reason but to create space for the shooters and cutters. In the absence of that the only option is a point guard/forward trying to get into the paint. Caris was that guy as was Burke, could Walton be in time… maybe but wouldn’t it be nice if there was more than one option because Spikes over penetration to the baseline has been scouted and often leads to desperation passes or turnovers.

I’d like to see a big bruiser at a legit 6’10 too.
I’m just surprised that Beilein would go that route at this point and that Cook would consider us given our lack of history in that area.

I’d like to see a big bruiser at a legit 6’10 too.
I’m just surprised that Beilein would go that route at this point and that Cook would consider us given our lack of
history in that area.

I’m certainly not president of the JB fan club, but I will say that he has shown he will diversify his recruiting pool in 16 and now 15. I think he realizes that we need more balance. Not total transformation of his general philosophy, but rather more options to create mismatched on offense and more interior resistance on defense.