New Target: 2015 C Levi Cook

I’ll work on getting a recruiting roundup together for you guys in the next couple days.

Cook would obviously have to visit before the offer, but asking for his transcripts means there is definitely some interest in setting up a visit, IMO.

He’s a big boy

Wow, what a highlight!

I was on this 4 months ago…this kid is skilled. If he wants to come, you take him, that simple. I honestly think Doyle would be moved to the bench if this kid comes and Sanderson is able to get him in reasonable shape, he has extremely good footwork and agility for a man that size. Doyle would probably be the best backup C in the B10. On the other hand, if Cook came off the bench, he would be the best backup C in the B10 as well.

Wonder what this says about the staff’s feeling in relation to Donnal, and perhaps to a lesser extent Wilson? In any event, I’m all for Cook

http://forum.umhoops.com/discussion/1042/2016-tyler-cook-offered/p1

More film below

Does Cook remind anyone else of a bigger, more post-oriented, Glen ‘Big Baby’ Davis?

I definitely see a lot of good in getting another big for 2015 if the alternative is Doyle/Donnal followed maybe maybe by Wilson. I just hope that were he to commit that wouldn’t potentially scare Teske away.

Cook would obviously have to visit before the offer, but asking for his transcripts means there is definitely some interest in setting up a visit, IMO.

Dylan - did Cook initiate the interest?

Also worth mentioning that a crystal ball came in for him to Michigan not too long after the tweet.

I definitely see a lot of good in getting another big for 2015 if the alternative is Doyle/Donnal followed maybe maybe by Wilson. I just hope that were he to commit that wouldn't potentially scare Teske away.

Dingo, I definitely see your concern. But Teske will certainly need a RS year to add strength, whereas Cook would play significant minutes as a freshman in my opinion. By the time Teske sees game action, Doyle and Donnal will be seniors, Cook and Wilson would be juniors. He would 2 have years as “the guy”.

Going after another big seems like a good idea, I wonder if someone besides Biefeldt will be transferring out at the end of the season. What does this mean for the recruitment of Jaylen Brown? Only 1 spot left, I doubt they would have spent all this time recruiting a player of his caliber to stop now.

Going after another big seems like a good idea, I wonder if someone besides Biefeldt will be transferring out at the end of the season. What does this mean for the recruitment of Jaylen Brown? Only 1 spot left, I doubt they would have spent all this time recruiting a player of his caliber to stop now.

Believe me when I tell you, if Brown wants to come there will be a spot available. No doubt about that

He is a poor man’s version of Josh Smith of Georgetown. Has had weight problems since he was younger. The hope that the move to Huntington Prep would make a difference in his physical development and from the looks of that video, it hasn’t.

There was talk of the decision to decommitment from WVU was mutual but I highly doubt it was. His unwillingness to change his body and the depth of bigs WVU already has on the roster made it clear that Coach Huggs didn’t need him anymore.

He is a poor man's version of Josh Smith of Georgetown. Has had weight problems since he was younger. The hope that the move to Huntington Prep would make a difference in his physical development and from the looks of that video, it hasn't.

There was talk of the decision to decommitment from WVU was mutual but I highly doubt it was. His unwillingness to change his body and the depth of bigs WVU already has on the roster made it clear that Coach Huggs didn’t need him anymore.

If there is one thing I believe in at UM, it is Jon Sanderson. He has shown the consistent ability to make players more athletic over the past 2-3 years…even if the improvement is not huge, it is at least reasonable. I think Cook has a really nice skillset, and Sanderson would help him immensely. Hell, if Derrick Nix can be a force in the B10, Levi Cook damn sure can.

He is a poor man's version of Josh Smith of Georgetown. Has had weight problems since he was younger. The hope that the move to Huntington Prep would make a difference in his physical development and from the looks of that video, it hasn't.

If there is one thing I believe in at UM, it is Jon Sanderson. He has shown the consistent ability to make players more athletic over the past 2-3 years…even if the improvement is not huge, it is at least reasonable. I think Cook has a really nice skillset, and Sanderson would help him immensely. Hell, if Derrick Nix can be a force in the B10, Levi Cook damn sure can.

Do you guys really think we have a shot with Brown? I’m not so sure we do. Not that I have any information one way or the other, I would just be surprised if we landed him. Cook on the other hand especially from that video looks like a guy we could land and who could fit in well. Looked pretty skilled for a really big kid. would be nice.

If Beilein is truly planning on offering him, I’m guessing Cook would have to commit to a specific workout plan and really dedicate a lot of time into that.

From the 16th, but Cook says he is planning officials for South Carolina (this week), Pitt, Missouri, and Iowa. Hopefully, we get a visit once the transcripts clear.

I have a good friend that coached Cook in AAU. He told me he is talented but he doesn’t want it and when pushed hard he simply caves. Unless he has done a 180 from a year ago I’ll be shocked if we ever offer. I’ll check back in with him and see if he’s heard any updates on work ethic and toughness.

edit: I just text my buddy. He talked to Cook’s coach and they think JB is 100% going to offer. He said Cook was raised by his gma and she really babied him. He has stepped it up since moving to prep school. He said what Levi has can’t be coached. Great size and great hands/feet.

one more thing- He said over the summer he was up to 320. He’s down to 290 now. He thinks Levi’s ideal weight is ~275. If interest remains i’ll go watch him play in Feb and try to get some video.

That’s exactly what I see on film - a hugh man with really nimble feet and great agility at that size, his footwork is remarkable for a guy that large. I think a simple 3-4 months with Sanderson could really make this a guy a true post threat that we need, with the ability to pass, shoot from the midrange, and he won’t get bullied in the post.

Can you guys imagine how good this kid would be after a year in Camp Sanderson?