NCAA 2021: Michigan vs. Texas Southern Open Thread

First game he’s ever fouled out. A guy who has played against Luka Garza, Kofi Cockburn, etc. fouls out against that team. I will drop it after this, but that was an absurdly officiated game that should not be used for evaluation of anything other than the officiating.

12 Likes

I believe the location has been announced, although I don’t remember off of the top of my head. Game times will be announced late tonight, either during or just after the last game of the evening.

1 Like

Chaundee’s aggressiveness is being used against him. So many times where he’s just out of position because he bites hard

5 Likes

Terrance needs to just accept his role for this season only, which is non-shooter. Utilize your other skills or make the simple pass and move along. Keep using that high-low action with Hunter, until they prove they can stop it. It doesn’t have to just be a wrinkle.

2 Likes

The idiots who were tweeting at Ronnie Bell in 2019 should have to team up with the idiots tweeting at EJ Liddel, and then play 2-on-2 against the two of them, call your own fouls.

9 Likes

Put it on PPV.

1 Like

They should just all be deported to Siberia

3 Likes

I just hope going forward we don’t get these refs. Nothing like watching other games and there’s 13 total fouls with 4 to go and we were there with 15. Just terrible officiating in general

8 Likes

I have to imagine that 1-16 games get the lowest tiered crews in general. At least I hope so.

5 Likes

This … actually makes a lot of sense - hadn’t occurred to me and would explain a lot (including why we’re not used to seeing this kind of thing - we haven’t since 1993!)

1 Like

I mean, one of these guys officiated the 2018 title game. I don’t think that the NCAA intentionally rolled out the ‘C’ team.

Michigan is 26th in the nation at defensive FTA/FGA rate. TSU is 230th. The notion that Michigan, who had clear athleticism and size advantages, would foul approximately as often as TSU is farcical on its face. I understand that TSU drove to the basket a lot – I mean, it’s not like they could hit perimeter shots – but Michigan has defended Big Ten teams that do the same thing, and they did it without excessive fouling.

17 Likes

Jeff Anderson reffed us in 2018 NC game. Dont know the other 2 guys. We just won the game, survive and advance. We’ll have a different crew and play a different team.

7 Likes

That game was annoying but yeah it’s not that bad. An ugly first round performance is pretty normal. I’m mostly upset UC Santa Barbara didn’t hit, almost got both my 5/12 upsets right

2 Likes

UCSB is probably my second favorite CBB team. At least this year. I am heartbroken

1 Like

This sums it up, it’s like the refs didn’t know teams can actually use proper technique walling up. Maybe they are fouls that big 10 refs don’t call… I have no idea. But we weren’t doing anything differently, that’s for sure

1 Like

Was he the one who called fouls on UM for getting rammed into by Brunson? (During that glorious part of the game when Michigan was actually up and looking like they’d make it a game.)

1 Like

Ugh, not sure. But you gotta be good to ref the NC game. Many a good ref have called a bad game at the top. Including my favorite college ref Mike Eades - now the coordinator for the SEC refs.

Respect due to Brunson. He had the gravitas to just command a whistle. That should be HD this year. Take his lumps as a frosh and then come back and get them as a soph.

But that, obviously, wasn’t this. They could have called a hookandhold on #5, or maybe it was #24, any of about a dozen times. This was just something else.

I thought for a second you were talking about tonight’s UFC card. Main event is a guy named Brunson

TSU is daring the refs to call fouls on them and that is their strategy on both end of the floor

1 Like