Mn eybl

I’ll give everyone a rundown of what I saw this weekend at the Minneapolis EYBL. I didn’t get to watch a lot of games but did see a couple of Michigan targets play.

Jalen Coleman - He was ridiculous in their game vs. Henry Ellenson and Playground Elite. He scored their first 18 points (I was watching another game during that time). PE put in a small strong guard on him and didn’t give him any space. He then got an offensive foul on a drive but answered with a contested 3 on the next possession. He didn’t seem fazed by the physicality of the defender. He is slight of build but didn’t back down.

Henry Ellenson - What a talent. Don’t know how much UM is recruiting him anymore but he has a little too much Pittsnogle (for old Beilein fans) in his game. The only reason I say that is because I think he settles for NBA type shots too much. He is a big physical presence with guard skills. He should venture out to the perimeter when he needs to but with his frame and skill set, he could score a ton around the hoop.

Eric Davis - saw him play twice. I wasn’t overwhelmed with him but he is at least 6’3, maybe 6’4 with long arms. He seemed a little frustrated with his teammates at times especially when they played BMore Elite. One thing that I did like about him is his edge. He was frustrated with his less talented teammates forcing bad shots. He wanted the ball and I don’t blame him. He seemed to get where he wanted against a winless Bmore team.

Esa Ahmed - I thought he would fit in really well to what Michigan is doing. He can do a lot of things with the ball but he clearly knew it was Jalen Coleman’s day and figured out ways to get him the ball. He didn’t match up Ellenson on the defensive side.

Dejounte Murray and Tyus Battle - watched about a half of each of their games and neither stood out (I didn’t have roster). Dejounte didn’t stand out at all against an undersized Howard Pulley team. It was the Chiek Diallo show for Team Scan. I basically got caught watching him outwork everyone for rebounds and loose balls. Fun to watch.

Thanks for the reports. Coleman gets glowing reports from everyone. Davis is one I’ll be interested to watch no matter where he goes

One thing about Davis is that he doesn’t overwhelm you physically. Just like Coleman. I think sometime when fans, myself included, are expecting to see the next coming when we watch some of these players. So at times, you have to lower your expectations when watching a bunch of high level kids play against each other. There are times when these same players stand out but it isn’t going to happen every time out. You can’t expect that when you are playing 5-7 games in a weekend.

It’s definitely tough to watch when some of these kids are hyped from the time they are in 8th and 9th grade. An example of that would be Stephen Zimmerman. I think he is good but he is a poor man’s Tyler Zeller (UNC and Cavs) or Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona). Which is still pretty darn good but to say he is a top 5-10 kid after watching some games this weekend, I would disagree. But ranking are based off of “potential” or “projections” and that is why he is ranked so high.

I’m in St. Paul.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Are you living in Minneapolis? I’m about two hours east of Duluth.

Good stuff @hoops4hire. Thanks for contributing.

I'll give everyone a rundown of what I saw this weekend at the Minneapolis EYBL. I didn't get to watch a lot of games but did see a couple of Michigan targets play.

Henry Ellenson - What a talent. Don’t know how much UM is recruiting him anymore but he has a little too much Pittsnogle (for old Beilein fans) in his game. The only reason I say that is because I think he settles for NBA type shots too much. He is a big physical presence with guard skills. He should venture out to the perimeter when he needs to but with his frame and skill set, he could score a ton around the hoop.

@Evan_Flood
2015 PF Henry Ellenson said #Michigan and #Kentucky have started showing interest

UK, Duke, UW, MSU and UNC are quite the teams to go up against.

@Evan_Flood
2015 PF Henry Ellenson said #Michigan and #Kentucky have started showing interest

UK, Duke, UW, MSU and UNC are quite the teams to go up against.

Ellenson is my second favorite 2015 target behind Coleman. I think he would be a great fit, though it looks like we could be on the outside looking in.

Great report. Those events sure are a lot of fun. I can’t wait to go to another one next year.

I believe if we land Coleman and Esa, we win a National Championship. If we land one of them, we will be darn good. They are just a different level of talent.

Interesting on Davis is all I’ll say.

I’m not as down on Davis as you were mp. I believe he would bring a different element to the team and I think you need that. You need to have someone that doesn’t “fit” like everyone else. Coach Beilein will get what he wants out of him to make him a successful player at UM.

I can see why you are down on him but I don’t necessarily agree with you. I believe Coach Beilein knows what he is doing.

I think a reason why I was so down on Davis was he was the first game and player I watched. I then went on to watch Brunson have one heck of a game, then Coleman and Esa absolutely dominate in their games. I wouldn’t be surprised if I heard that was the worst game Davis has ever had in his life, and it happened to be the game I caught.

I agree with you that JB knows what he’s doing, and will most certainly get the most out of whoever he signs. The difference is what player has “the most” to be tapped.

‏@EvanDaniels
Best high major shooters in the EYBL? Numbers say Jalen Coleman (50-percent), Kenny Williams (47-percent) & Matt McQuiad (45-percent).