Jalen Coleman - New Film

I think we all know Jalen can shoot the rock, but the most impressive portion of the film may be the athletic finishes over defenders. Eurostep and finish with the left was particularly nice. Contorted his body and hung in the air long enough to finish. Much more athletic than he gets credit for.

Curls,backdoors, transition 3s, Coleman is an excellent off-ball player. Notre Dame is supposedly neck and neck with UM and my preferences in Dozier or Ali are just that at this stage. Hopefully something gives soon.

If we lose him to Notre Dame I’m going to puke.

I really like Coleman’s game. He would be great at the two for us. I’d be equally happy with Ali or Dozier, and only slightly less happy with Eric Davis.

I don’t get the affinity for ND either. Brey doesn’t put guys in the NBA and ND is not a title contender.

I don’t get the affinity for ND either. Brey doesn’t put guys in the NBA and ND is not a title contender.

A family atmosphere and proximity to home goes a long way.

Evidently.

He looks tailor made for this system

Man can that kid shoot the rock. Catch and shoot, off a pindown, off the bounce, midrange, from deep…doesn’t matter he simply fills it up.

MattD-

How can somebody be a good shooter off of a pin down? I’m not calling your assessment into question I’m just legitimately curious. I’ve always thought of a pin down as a player taking another player out of a play that is going toward the rim, giving the driver an open lane to the basket. Not a pick and roll but almost like a screen during the drive that is usually finished off with a layup.

Again it sounds like you know worlds more about X’s and O’s than me so I’m legitimately asking.

MattD-

How can somebody be a good shooter off of a pin down? I’m not calling your assessment into question I’m just legitimately curious. I’ve always thought of a pin down as a player taking another player out of a play that is going toward the rim, giving the driver an open lane to the basket. Not a pick and roll but almost like a screen during the drive that is usually finished off with a layup.

Again it sounds like you know worlds more about X’s and O’s than me so I’m legitimately asking.

Pindown Screen - basically a term for a big setting a screen on the baseline for the wing/guard - at which point the wing/guard pops up to either the free throw line area or 3 point area - so the big (ie Morgan) was “pinning down” Stauskas’ or Levert’s defender to allow either to gain free access to the ball.

This was a bedrock play for UM this season - Stauskas would be on the left wing as Walton dribbled left, as Walton would dribble left Stauskas would execute a backdoor cut to the basket…if that wasn’t there, Morgan/McGary would set a pindown screen for Stauskas and when he popped up Walton would deliver the ball to Stauskas. At which point McGary/Morgan would set a screen on Stauskas’ defender on the right side and they ran Pick and roll.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply! I think I saw a prime example of this in some random game I watched recently on DVR that currently escapes. After a few edits I figured out it was Valentine’s 3 to open the game at Crisler this year that was off a “pin down screen”. Essentially a catch and shoot off a screen, no?

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply! I think I saw a prime example of this in some random game I watched recently on DVR that currently escapes. After a few edits I figured out it was Valentine's 3 to open the game at Crisler this year that was off a "pin down screen". Essentially a catch and shoot off a screen, no?

Right. Catch and shoot off of a screen basically.

Usually the Catch and shoot is referencing off of a skip pass or dribble/kick scenario.

C&S off a screen (moving) is harder than it sounds.
C&S off a drive/kick or skip is a lot easier.

Agree with JBlair - A pin down is much more advanced and difficult vs a regular catch and shoot in my opinion because it requires much more discipline in terms of body control and balance.

A normal catch and shoot implies that a player is already in shooting position - IE knees bent, hands waiting, all the player has to do is rise and shoot in a normal motion.

Off a pindown screen a player is coming from the baseline and heading toward the 3 point line, which essentially means the player has to catch the ball, turn his body around toward the basket, rise up and shoot - that is extremely difficult. You’re essentially asking a player to complete a 180 degree turn (at minimum) and keep his body straight and maintain balance through his shooting motion.

Oklahoma City runs a bunch of pin down plays for Durant to create space for him and let him work. Some examples here.

.@BSnowScout just got off phone w/ 2015 4-star SG Jalen Coleman, his top 6/no order: Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Notre Dame, UNLV, NC State

— Kyle Bogenschutz (@KyleBogie) June 27, 2014

UNLV and NC State?

What is with NC state and the interest from both Davis and Coleman?

I think the UNLV interest is weirder than NC State because they don’t even play in a high major conference… Davis is planning on visiting there and now they crack Jalen’s top 6

Illinois already has two wings in it’s 15 class and seems to be concentrating more on PG’s and bigs at this point.