Michigan to host Toledo on Wednesday

Better coaching, more spacing, more shooting. Probably don’t have the same level of individual talent as a guy like Turner though.

For Comcast in Michigan atleast, FS1 first comes on the “Economy” package (100ish channels) whereas BTN comes on the “Starter” packages (140ish channels)

Here’s an interesting stat: Through four games, Toledo is shooting 40.9%(!) from three and 41.0%(!) from two. Really going to stress Michigan’s defense with respect to switches and helping on drivers.

They also have four guys shooting at least 39% from deep (minimum 10 total attempts). Yeah, they can definitely score.

1 Like

Feels like a good game for the Yaklich all-switching, no-help defense

Can someone explain to me why MSU gets to play 7 non-conference games? Am I missing something?

You can play 7 non conference games if you participate in a multi team event.

Michigan has not participated in an MTE.

Hypothetically, Michigan could schedule a 2-game MTE to get to 27 but I don’t see that happening.

2 Likes

Also of note, is that this has always been a rule. It’s why Michigan always plays in an MTE event every year. You get to play extra games because of it. Not sure why it’s a rule, but it’s a thing year in and year out.

Yeah, the game limits are different but the structure is the same. Difference this year is the NCAA said it would approve any MTE, so teams have put together some pretty interesting ones…

MSU/ND/WMU are an MTE. It was just a game at the Breslin Center between MSU and ND and then home games for both schools against WMU.

Smart scheduling there, but not surprising with Pauga so involved.

and MSU participated in the Champions Classic so that makes sense. Thank you.

Looking at NC State’s schedule, I’m not sure there’s even a date that works for both teams, even if the NCAA granted them a waiver to play the game.

Champions Classic was not actually an MTE (just a one off game). Their MTE was with ND/WMU

Just saw your reply about that. That’s genius scheduling all parties involved.

Dylan why schedhule this game if ur UofM. Not the upside to be a good win come tourney time, downside of losing to a MAC team at home?

Pretty clear they want to get reps in before Big Ten play. Toledo isn’t a bad team, I think there’s a good chance Michigan will have played the MAC champs by the time the season is over.

Toledo/BGSU/Ball State all should have pretty good records and be top-150ish teams. I like this more than adding a Horizon League team or something like that.

Do you think there’s any possibility Michigan does try and schedule an ‘MTE’ in between the PSU and Nebraska games to get 2 extra games in?

I think given this context this is about as good as you could ask for. Keeps the same date on the schedule, local team, no travel involved but yet a pretty good team by mid-major standards.

I know we would all like a high major game, but by 2020 standards, this is probably as good as it gets under the circumstances.

I know but it seems like it’s a little monotone with the rest of scheduling. I guess that’s how it is in a pandemic.

Is there any precedent for Michigan getting a waiver from the NCAA to reschedule the NCSt game given the Covid situation?

Yeah, in any other season I’d agree but I think you take games if you can get them. I also don’t think the non-con will have much impact on seeding this year. Take care of business in conference and roll with the punches.

1 Like

Ye fs makes sense

Only in markets that have a Big Ten team. The move to add Rutgers was almost exclusively to add the NY market (if that’s where you are). Ditto Maryland with the Mid-Atlantic. I believe PSU gets them Philadelphia.