Michigan hoops earns APR Honor

The basketball team was recognized for having an APR in the top 10% across the country.

http://www.mgoblue.com/genrel/060513aab.html

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- On Wednesday (June 5), the NCAA announced its 2011-12 Division I Academic Performance Program Public Recognition Award recipients, which includes four University of Michigan varsity athletic teams: men's basketball, women's basketball, men's gymnastics and women's tennis.

The men’s gymnastics team captured the 2013 NCAA team championship, while the men’s basketball team advanced to the NCAA championship game. Women’s tennis made its fourth straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 this spring, and women’s basketball advanced to the second round of its NCAA Tournament.

The Public Recognition Awards recognize teams among the top 10 percent of their respective sports in the most-recent multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) report.

Each year, the NCAA honors select Division I sports teams who achieve the top APR within their sport by publicly recognizing their latest multi-year rate. This announcement is part of the overall Division I academic reform effort. The APR provides a real-time look at a team’s academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of individual student-athletes on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team’s academic performance.

That’s a great accomplishment for MBB, which also was recognized in 2010-11 and 2011-12.

Here’s the NCAA announcement.

Some perspective:

More than 950 NCAA Division I sports teams were honored by the NCAA for earning Public Recognition Awards, based on their most recent multi-year Academic Progress Rate. These awards are given each year to teams with APRs in the top 10 percent plus ties in each sport.

A total of 268 schools, out of 346 Division I colleges and universities, placed at least one team on the top APR list.

Dartmouth College had the most teams (25) recognized, followed by Brown University (20) and Bucknell University (19).

That is absolutely tremendous. A credit to the coaching staff for finding high caliber players as well as people. John Beilein is proving you can be successful in major college hoops and do things the right way.