Michigan earns No. 11 seed, will face Colorado State in opening round

I would have liked to enjoy a bit of the tournament before our game. Will make it a little more depressing to follow if we lose. Though if we win it will be an enjoyable 2 days of watching.

21 Likes

UMHoops entertainment budget just received an unexpected boost with team being in Indianapolis!

5 Likes

Wasnā€™t Michigan also the first game of the day when we played Oklahoma State in 2017? Not sure if we played Thursday or Friday though, just remember it being very early.

Edit: Just looked it up, we were the first game on Friday.

6 Likes

Same with Michigan/Tennessee during the Stu/Novak days

4 Likes

The comments in this thread read like every opponentā€™s message board in March Madness during the Beilein era. There was always a lot of ā€œAmazing matchup, thereā€™s no way they can stop us insideā€ chatter from opposing fans, and then Beileinā€™s dudes would put the other team in a blender.

(I hope this time weā€™re right this time and Hunter feasts and we donā€™t get roasted on D).

21 Likes

Youā€™re not kidding ha. Boom or bust enjoyment getting the first game.

1 Like

Yep. I didnā€™t get to see either of those live and wonā€™t see this one either. Gotta win so I can watch us play again!

1 Like

Good stuff. One week later, almost exactly, we get a chance to exercise the demons of the Indiana meltdown on the same court. The next game we break the ā€œlose every other gameā€ curse. Itā€™s all lined up for us!

6 Likes

Is it safe to assume we would be one of the early games on the 19th then as well?

Donā€™t think thereā€™s any correlation between the times on Thursday and Saturday.

6 Likes

CSU doesnā€™t have alot of size, I can see this being one of those normal good Hunter game and a real good Diabate game. Letā€™s hope Houstanā€™s shooting woes wonā€™t transfer to the post season.

4 Likes

Its not about Wiscy the teamā€¦easiest draw and two home games

3 Likes

interesting thing with CSU. 2 loses to an UNLV team michigan beat pretty good and a lost to SDSU also another team they beat. doesnā€™t mean all that much with the madness that is March but still interesting.

2 Likes

To be favored at basically home location more or less as an 11 seed is AS GOOD as anyone could ask for. Iā€™m sure folks are salty about Tennessee being a 3 and Duke being a 2 but we havenā€™t been able to string together 2 consecutive games so does it really matter given both are around top 10 kenpom. Either we show up or we donā€™t.

14 Likes

Playing in the heart of Big Ten country in an arena we played a game in last week and an early start time against a team 2 time zones away. A lot of things lining up our way at least for the 1st game.

10 Likes

Haha everyone jumps up except ā€¦ Eli. Heā€™s just sitting there with a big smile on his face. Love it!

8 Likes

They played great ball in the SEC tournament, but they also had scouted and played those same teams all season. They definitely deserve props, but letā€™s see how Barnes and staff do with the short turnaround and new teams in the NCAAā€™s

4 of CSUā€™s 5 losses on the year are to UNLV and SDSU. 30, 19, 14, and 5 point losses. Then they have a 1 point win over SDSU.

2 Likes

Based purely on Net Rating, this will be the 12th most difficult game played for Michigan this year. They were 4-7 in the ā€œharderā€ games.

Conversely this will be the 7th most difficult game Colorado State will play this year. They were 4-2 against the harder games.

5 Likes

Zrl, I was thinking the exact same thingā€¦

1 Like