Meet Franz Wagner

3 Likes

Probably means very little… but looks like the blue group in most of those clips is Simpson, Brooks, Livers, Johns, Teske. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

That Teske putback dunk at the end there :eyes::eyes:

9 Likes

Also don’t know if it means anything, but they show him guarding livers and brooks on separate occasions, which would suggest they’re running him at the 2 and 3. Seems obvious given his versatility but you never know exactly how someone will be used.

3 Likes

Think he’s also guarding Johns in one clip.

1 Like

Yeah didn’t notice that the first time. While I’m free to read into things I’m gonna replay his comment about ball screens a few dozen times and pencil him in as my B1G FOY

2 Likes

Interesting that Johns would be ahead of Franz at this point.

How can I get my name changed to FRANZWAGNERISMYHERO?

7 Likes

@FRANZWAGNERISMYHERO Changed your message board name, but you still have to login to UM Hoops with your original username (or email).

1 Like

Just one practice, so who knows really. Could be that they wanted to work Franz at a different spot or that it is easier to work him at 2-3-4 if he plays with the 2s, or that he’s best as a sixth man because he can play 2-3-4.

3 Likes

I would have thought that Johns would be the “default” starter to start practices this year so this isn’t surprising to me. did you expect Frantz to start from day one?

3 Likes

Franz as a versatile 6th man actually makes a lot of sense. And to me it seems they really want Livers to be a 3, but can’t know that for sure til the season starts.

1 Like

Everything publicly indicates that they will do everything they can to play Livers at the three. I’d be shocked if that’s not how the season starts, but I could see a situation where you change course at shift him up.

Franz as a sixth-man makes some sense because his ideal position right now might also be the three, but he really can play 2-3-4. We also said that Iggy as the sixth man made some sense at this time last year for the same reason… that didn’t happen .

2 Likes

I just want to see Michigan start with a lineup like below and see what a team with that kind of height across the board can do on defense:

Simpson: 6’0
Wagner: 6’8
Livers: 6’8
Johns: 6’8
Teske: 7’1

Not sure who can stay in front of anyone other than Simpson, but it is an intriguing amount of length.

2 Likes

I’m hoping Franz’s defense is as advertised but could see the smaller quicker guys giving him issues. I’d like to see this lineup in a 2-3 zone potentially.

Yeah that’s kinda what I meant. I feel like based on what has been said so far, it makes sense that Livers is at the 3 in preseason. And thus it makes sense Johns is starting at 4 and Brooks is starting at 2.

2 Likes

I would love that lineup in a change of pace for a zone D for a bit

1 Like

To me that would be nothing but encouraging. If we have six bona fide playahs, I am revising irrational exuberance upward several notches.

1 Like

I would love to see Franz in the 6th man role, but that requires Brooks and Johns to make big leaps from last year. That is certainly possible, but not guaranteed.

1 Like