Juwan Howard Coaching Rumors

If I was looking at an NBA roster to try and win a title with, Id say the Celtics would be the most appealing if healthy.

3 Likes

This would be an ideal time for Warde to do some work. Howard is the 11th highest paid coach in the conference. As long as his salary is this low NBA teams should and will continue to call. He played a season in Portland so he’s familiar with the area. I don’t think he will leave but if an NBA team most likely could double or triple your salary it would be dumb not to listen

2 Likes

Is this the part where I actually start to worry that this is why Jett hasn’t committed yet?

:grimacing:

3 Likes

Apparently Kidd dropped out of consideration in part because of Dame’s public endorsement. So that’s not good.

2 Likes

Not good for who?

Y’all must have a really low opinon of Juwan Howard’s character if you’re even a little worried about him leaving after two years.

5 Likes

So Dame probably wants out and luxury tax concerns will probably keep the trust from going crazy in free agency. Honestly, looks like a team stuck in the mud. Not sure there is a whole lot of upside in being the coach (hence J Kidd publicly saying, “Nah.”).

4 Likes

They are probably in the same situation the Pistons were in when Davidson passed away and Joe Dumars hands were tied. To much uncertainty.

1 Like

It has nothing to do with character. I don’t think it’s all likely Juwan leaves for Portland, but if they were going to hire Jason Kidd for sure there’d be a zero chance they would hire Juwan. Hence, “not good” because 1% or whatever is higher than 0%

6 Likes

Leaving for an NBA coaching position is not indicative whatsoever of poor character and I don’t think anyone here is commenting with that notion in mind, regardless of how unlikely they think it’ll be that he departs.

8 Likes

Yes it does. Unless you think he is not a genuine person and the tears during his introductory press conference were fake, you wouldn’t be worried about him leaving so soon.

Portland wanting him is irrelevant, he’s not gonna listen.

5 Likes

Being fake is indicative of poor character. Leaving now would be Juwan giving a huge middle finger to the program and university he loves.

5 Likes

I doubt he would leave after 2 years but if he does there is a guy the Pistons just hired that would be perfect.

1 Like

How is going for a top 20 coaching job in all of basketball “fake” and “sticking a middle finger up”? What because he cried at the press conference?!?

8 Likes

No, it wouldn’t. It would be him pursuing a dream. He’s free to do that, he doesn’t owe us anything.

That said, I do think he stays…but I’ll be mildly nervous until his name is out of Woj and others’ mouths.

14 Likes

College programs need stability, leaving after two years screws the program and puts it in a bad spot. If Juwans ultimate goal is to coach in the NBA that is fine, but don’t accept the job at Michigan if you’re not willing to put that in the back burner for some years. He was interviewing for NBA jobs and was gonna get one soon anyways.

pic.twitter.com/D8BI4ZNI7U

— Juwan Howard (@JuwanHoward) August 24, 2020

If everything Juwan has said/done about the university since he’s been hired is true there’s no reason to worry about him leaving.

6 Likes

Yeah I don’t even really know what to say to that. It’s incredibly entitled to say it’s a “middle finger” to the university. There is no reason for him to be bound to Michigan. I’d love it if he spent his career here and I’d be crushed if he left before he really got started, but I’m beyond shocked that anyone couple possibly say it would be an indictment on his character if he left for an NBA job. That’s ludicrous. It seems like much more of a character issue to judge someone for chasing their dream job (if that is the case) than it is to do so.

14 Likes

It would be perfectly fine if everybody knew that going in.

Of course, Juwan would never have been offered the job if Manuel knew that he would leave the program high and dry as soon as he got his first NBA offer because everybody involved knew that was gonna happen within the next few years.

1 Like

To Juwan Howard: If you are truly not interested in leaving Mich now please come out and state so. Then maybe these guys would stop wasting their time arguing about it.

3 Likes

Maybe 10 or 11 coaches shouldn’t be compensated more than Juwan. The season has been over for 2 plus months and we have arrived to the point of NBA coaching vacancies happening. This isn’t a Juwan thing this is a Warde and the University of Michigan issue.

4 Likes

My prediction: an extension is announced by months end

6 Likes