Jordan Poole, Charles Matthews declare for NBA Draft

if he plays with the confidence that he did late i could see him being in that 8-10 range for sure. Also he rimmed out a lot of little elbow pull ups that from his high school/aau film were usually his bread and butter. I think with more minutes and being comfortable/ confident he starts hitting those more often then not. He pretty much got those looks when he wanted them he just didn’t finish the job.

I’m high on his potential this year, glad to see others are feeling confident too.

Selfishly speaking it would be great to have Brooks around as insurance. Just being willing to shoot open 3s makes him a solid option. But if he wants more minutes elsewhere, I wouldn’t blame him. I would not be surprised if he’s passed on the depth chart by the end of this calendar year by at least DDJ at PG and multiple players at SG. Michigan has some talent on the roster and incoming. Nunez is 6-5 and with a supposdly elite shot. The stroke sure does look nice. I bet he’s closer to major minutes next year than Brooks is.

1 Like

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. It’s one game and wide open shots are not what I’m referring to.

There’s a reason we saw Eli pump fake so many semi-open threes. His shot can get blocked much easier at his height. McQuaid has the advantage of being 6’5 and getting those semi-open looks off.

2 Likes

understood, not a reasonable comparison

1 Like

40 Ignas Bradzeikis

No JP, no Matthews.

1 Like

Eli is actually a sneaky good athlete, so couldn’t disagree with this more. He’s agile and can elevate–had some impressive blocks/rebounds this year, and one memorable dunk. A more assertive approach on offense, better handles, and more consistent shooting is where he can grow.

3 Likes

Poole is not returning.

1 Like

Welp, that’s disappointing. I’m not sure how everything seemed to sour so quickly, but it sounds like the reality of the situation is that Jordan has been unsatisfied for a while now.

1 Like

Brooks was also a pretty poor finisher. Not even through contact. Just in general. Missed more wide open gimmes than anyone outside Teske and he played 1/4 the minutes.

1 Like
2 Likes

Brooks got better defensively, but at this point we should be hoping he’s a good combo guard off the bench for us.

2019-20 backcourt:
SG - JR Poole/SR GradTransfer, backed up by JR Brooks or FR Bajema
PG - SR Z backed up by SO DeJulius

2020-21 backcourt:
SG - SO Bajema backed up by SR Brooks
PG - JR DeJulius backed up by FR Jackson

1 Like

If Poole is really committed to staying in the draft, then I can only assume he liked what he heard from the scouts.

Or its a better option than transferring.

1 Like

Good luck to Poole if that’s the case, and I’m excited to have a player in that spot who likes what it offers.

1 Like

I don’t know how many of you had the chance to listen to Anthony Wright’s recently launched podcast, You Can’t Guard Me, but I highly recommend it. Episode 2 was specifically about Jordan Poole. It was just before he declared for the draft, so based on his information at the time Ant was anticipating that Poole was going to transfer.

What I found most interesting about the episode was Ant talking about Poole’s role on this team, specifically poppa Poole’s infamous tweet when he said:

Tired of hearing all the crap from Michigan fans when he is told to stand in the corner and wait on the ball and gets blamed for everything half of you dont understand basketball.

I won’t give a transcript of the podcast, so I can’t possibly do the breakdown justice but we have already discussed many aspects here over the course of the season. Ant did mention that X’s lack of outside shooting has allowed his defender to cheat off of him when someone else has the ball. This impacts Poole’s game, especially when X is in the middle of the court. When X is dominating the ball, the defense has to play much more honestly. The 1-5 ball screen game has been effective, so it makes sense that the team run it so much, but where does that leave Poole?

Ant is unwavering when he says that the best place for Poole (or any talented guard) to prepare for the NBA is Michigan. He is confident that X can raise his 3pt% up to 35% or higher and give the floor the spacing that Poole would need to showcase what he can do in the PnR and Iso game.

I’m an episode down (and episode 4 should be out soon) but I highly recommend what I’ve heard so far in episodes one and two.

2 Likes

That pod was discussed in depth before his decision. Probably worth reading through that before we rehash it all.

I like Ant but giving James Yoder a platform is a terrible decision. Yoder is a harmful parasite to the Michigan athletic program.

10 Likes

classic click bait, dont care who that dude is or what he has to say

1 Like

Agreed. Yoder is just a flat out terrible human being.

4 Likes

Fixed it for you.

2 Likes