Jordan Poole, Charles Matthews declare for NBA Draft

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth I sent Jordan Poole a dm on IG thanking him for everything if he decided to leave and he liked my message lol

2 Likes

Does anyone know when combine invites will be handed out? Curious to see if/how that plays into decision here.

The combine invite list leaked in full around May 5th last year. So about 10 days before the combine, give or take.

1 Like

Social media is the worst, but if Poole thinks the bashing will get better somewhere else he is sadly mistaken,

1 Like

I think I read that the coaches havenā€™t been able to meet with players yet. Thatā€™s a discussion theyā€™ll have as soon as they can. The nice thing about recruiting guys with integrity is I imagine those conversations are always productive. The staff will come out of them with some clear direction.

Not that there mightnā€™t be a turnaround from Pooleā€“given a very poor evaluation of him, etc.ā€“but I donā€™t think that any of the knowledgeable contributors here tend to believe any of them are coming back.

During the season, there has been a lot of talk/guessing/thinking that Eli Brooks may be a potential transfer candidate. With Poole & Iggy leaving, how important is it that Eli returns for his junior year?

He had some decent moments to finish the season (loved seeing that from Eli, feel like heā€™s a great kid) but how comfortable would you be if heā€™s the starting SG? Or would you prefer a graduate transfer to fill the hole left by Poole?

Thoughts?

If we have a great shooting guard to buttress the attack, Eli looks great to me as someone to have in when we need stops, spell X; I still also believe that he can get us some buckets.

2 Likes

Iā€™d prefer Eli stay over a grad transfer; I just donā€™t think thereā€™s a substitute for the camaraderie of your teammates and knowledge of the U-M system forged over two years, going into a third. There were enough signs during the year to put my comfort level with him starting at around 8 out of 10. At his age, another year of maturation off the court could help Eli a good deal, too, in confidence, perhaps.

5 Likes

Totally agree. Just expressing my appreciation that the staff will be able to plan with direct information from good young men, while we are speculating (which is fun for us).

Although I understand the camaraderie, Iā€™d think Eli average 5-7 points a game as a starter. We are losing so much scoring that I donā€™t know if that will be enough (especially in the B1G). Iā€™d believe weā€™ll need more from the 2 than that, and Iā€™d love for Eli to put up 10 points a game but I just know if he is capable.

Your point is well made; perhaps start Eli because heā€™s experienced and an upperclassmen, but truncate the minutes a starter would normally log, subbing in a more pure scorer (be it someone already on the roster, a grad transfer). Iā€™m glad I donā€™t have to make those calls. :slight_smile: I do think heā€™ll carve out a valuable niche, assuming he stays.

4 Likes

I think Eli is gonna surprise some people. Heā€™s playing with a chip, the D is getting better and he will make the right plays.

Like Johns, Eli just needs confidence. The last two years heā€™s been playing with an eye over his shoulder. If he plays free, I think he could be a key piece

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t get your hopes up too far. I like Eli. He hustles on D and seems like a good kid, but heā€™s never shown the ability to put the ball in the basket as a 2. Heā€™s way undersized at 6ā€™1 and heā€™s not an explosive athlete. He has clear physical limitation that are going to hold him back. Thereā€™s a large enough sample size, 68 games, that should give us a clear view of expectations for him. He averages 2.2 PPG over his 68 games. He shoots 27% from three and 35% overall for his career. We should expect him to be a hustle guy off the bench who can help spell X a bit.

8 Likes

Ya we donā€™t want to rely on him, but mcquaid averaged 5 and shot 35% his sophomore year. Thereā€™s something to say about effort guys that are experienced in the program.

bench players that know where to be and play hard are important, especially developing the young guys

3 Likes

McQuaid was also adequately sized to play SG (6ā€™5ā€™ā€™) and I think heā€™s a better athlete as well.

1 Like

This. 6ā€™5 vs 6ā€™1 at the 2 is major difference. There are shots McQuaid can get off that Eli simply canā€™t.

3 Likes

i guess we watched different big ten title games then cause mcquaid was wide open and knocked down the clutch shots.

thats what veterans do