Harold Baruti '16 in on his way to an OV at UM

I think that Michigan probably over extended itself with late offers over the last couple of years and wants to be careful to take a 4 year kid in this class when it would affect the size of the 2017 class.

The only way Baruti helps if he can back up the four more effectively than DJ Wilson. From what we know its hard to say that with confidence.

4 Likes

I liked his athleticism, and thought he had more overall upside than the kid who ended up at Wisconsin ā€“ I hope we now emphasize those attributes in 2017.

Anyone know if Kostas is still available?

How do you figure? At the moment We have two open this year and five to give next year. This will be the second year In a row JB has wasted a scholarship spot. Hard to see that as anything but poor roster management.

How can you say that when there are hundreds of transfer candidates still out there? Still too early to panic.

I was not as hot on this guy as most, so I am not that disappointed. We need a wing that can help us this year, not a low rated project.

Michigan has four additional scholarships to give in 2017 right now and that includes Donnalā€™s fifth season.

The question the coaching staff had to answer was a) is Baruti good enough to give us something this year and b) is he better than someone we think we can sign in 2017.

Beilein hasnā€™t been shy to give out late offers on all types of prospects (Spike, MAAR, Caris, Dawkins) so the fact that Baruti came on an official and wasnā€™t offered is pretty telling IMO.

1 Like

ā€¦another miss? lol

I liked him. Iā€™d prefer no fifth year for donnall. Solid big man off the bench but I donā€™t love him.

1 Like

Donnal actually had solid Big Ten numbers.

2 Likes

Lol, this board.

2 Likes

Hes solid. I would rather have another 2017 kid though at that point. Just off of roster make up and who we have id rather have the scholarship.

I donā€™t think Baruti would have been a contributor next year. I do like him as a prospect. Clearly Coach Beilein wasnā€™t enamored.
Do you think influx of new assistants has staff exercising caution on short term recruiting front?

When has JB ever taken a grad transfer?

Well, there is no guarantee that the 2017 guy we sign instead of Baruti will be any better.

But, this isnā€™t just about Baruti. There are dozens of grad transfers who could help this team next year and none are on the horizon.

We may waste two scholarship spots this year (after wasting another one last year) so we better not hear any of the apologists complain this year about injuries and a lack of depth. This roster construction is all on JB.

Oh and do we really need 4 centers on the roster next year?

1 Like

Donā€™t panic, the recruiting season isnā€™t over yet.

If the roster makeup is all on Beilein, then let him do it his way. How do you know that there is nothing on the horizon?

We had four centers this year, so that is nothing new. Plus 2 of them could play spot minutes at the four if needed.

What two centers can play the 4? If you are counting DJ, then we actually have 5 centers on the team. Otherwise, the only other center who can play the 4 is Mo. Everyone else would get destroyed at the 4.

I think you need three centers on the roster and Iā€™d guess that one of the two incoming freshmen red shirts. Going forward that gives some flexibility with what you do at the five especially with the chance that this could be Donnalā€™s last season.

My comment was not about the five position this upcoming season, but about the following season. Again, I donā€™t see the need for four centers in 2017 because that takes away from needs at other positions. So itā€™s tough to keep Donnal for a fifth year (even though he would likely be better than Teske an/or Davis) because thatā€™s too many centers unless Mo blows up and goes pro.

The problem currently is that 11 scholarships are being used and 4 of them by centers. Thatā€™s poor roster management AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Can still bring someone in but I see baruti being a plus player we couldā€™ve used. Our backcourt is a senior, junior, and 2 freshman currently. It needs addressed and Iā€™m hoping it happens.

2 Likes

You should have learned, like I did this year, not to worry about the roster too far out. I was worried about 14 guys on the 2016 roster and too many bigs, then Doyle and Chatman leave (along with Dawkins) and now we have two openings and not so many bigs. A lot can happen before the 2017 season.