Handicapping the back of Michigan's rotation

It’s always good to have a little self-awareness in the aftermath of a tough loss. If you’re bitterly ragging on the players you could have a little too much invested. The team just lost their fourth game. Deep breaths; if Michigan loses it’s doesn’t have to be a blow to your vanity, self-esteem, or ego. There’s a nice tradition here almost from the site’s inception of really keeping it constructive, not just saying a player s*cks, etc. Be wonderful if you could help us keep that level of thoughtfulness going.

8 Likes

Thank you, Mattski! This is why you are such a wise and valuable contributor to this forum. Thank you for phrasing it so appropriately and for putting things in perspective.

None of us are happy about yesterday’s loss. I’m guessing some, maybe all, of our players are totally devastated. While I now believe a regular season championship is out of the question, I just view that prospect as a fan, a long time and very proud fan, but a fan. For the kids… well, it’s time for true fans to have their backs.

We still have much to play for. We can, once again, win the B1G Tournament and make a great run in the NCAA Tournament. Hopefully the kids, while hurting right now, can use this to bounce back and FINISH the season STRONG!

Again, Mattski, I appreciate your insights. :slightly_smiling_face: Go Blue!!! Beat Nebraska! FINISH STRONG!

4 Likes

Sorry go back to MLive or Twitter or RCMB or wherever you came from.

4 Likes

I see us winning out, including beating MSU at MSU. I think they will bounce back and CM will have a much better game.

2 Likes

Exactly but playing against all cupcake scheduled home games which were really super low majors he’s supposed to not look bad. But he shouldn’t get any Big Ten or tournament play.

Are you aware that you’re responding to a post from last September?

You ask “Have you watched the games?” Well unless he had a time machine, how was his September self supposed to do that?

7 Likes

After reading your comment, I appreciate your optimism and while I think our road has become much harder, we still have a chance for that regular season championship that I felt had slipped away, albeit a shared one. The problem is I just don’t see Purdue losing again so we don’t control our own destiny but we certainly control how we respond in these last three games. Again Finish Strong, and that includes a B1G Tourney run and an NCAA run.

It’s important when discussing the effectiveness of a player, or the seeming lack thereof, to remember the word “yet.” A commenter said Eli Brooks is “not even a division I player.” Actually he is, but he is struggling. That person says he’s not a dog, he’s a cat. Someone else says he’s not a B1G player. Again, remember the word “yet.”

There were many on here who said Duncan Robinson wasn’t a DI player. Duncan Robinson ended up having a very nice career at HIGH Division I Michigan. He played in an NCAA Division ONE Final. Duncan Robinson is starting tonight for the Miami Heat…of the NBA. Remember the word “yet” when discussing the attributes and effectiveness of players, when discussing at what level those kids can play.

Now, I’m not saying Eli Brooks is Duncan Robinson…yet. He may never be. He IS a division I player, and he has been a capable backup at times this year. He is struggling right now. He may not be as good as some would like him to be, but don’t judge what he is capable of…yet.

8 Likes

Robinson started for the Heat tonight. I suspect that he might not ever even be a rotation regular, but he’s already gone a lot further than we would have expected, say, 12 months ago.

Brooks can and will still develop. Closing the book on any player, especially a Beilein player, is a silly idea.

Not out of the question that his development may happen somewhere else, though. Simpson and DDJ are both going to improve next year and Brooks might not have any minutes available to play.

2 Likes

Michigan will be fine end of the day. I’m personally worried about some of their things coming into the tournament play, but they have the tools to win fhe BIG tourney and/or the NCAA tourney. Hopefully they can win out from here