Game 7: Michigan vs. Gonzaga Recap

Hey Dylan will we get a podcast Sunday or Monday?

What do you project next years team starting line up to be? Because as of right now it sure looks like he will have exactly that next year unless Livers declares.

The plan is Monday morning. Been tricky with time zone differences (Brendan was in Maui) and travel.

3 Likes

Dylan thanks for great coverage of a great week. If you had to guess, whatā€™s an obvious scout that remaining non-con/Big Ten coaches are gonna be looking at to try and disrupt the offensive flow we have goingā€¦ simple answer is get up in every guyā€™s grill and limit airspace, but then that happens so much more room for Simpson/Teske PnR. Any thoughts?

You get a vote?

The thing that was most impressive for me this tourney is how teske and Colin looked defensively downlow. Their length, timing, and overall defensive intelligence really stymied Unc and the zags.

Unc in particular looked extremely flustered. Bacot wasnā€™t sure what to do with him self. They were just giving the Unc big the 15 footers and daring them to shoot and they couldnā€™t hit it. Then when they did come down low teske and Colin forced them into a lot of tough shots. It was extremely impressive and a great defensive game plan by Juwan

Yep. Pretty sure everyone who was covering the tournament got a vote, at least everyone who was there for the final. Was a pretty small media contingent overall (no other local Michigan reporters were there).

2 Likes

Is there a better back court trip then z, ddj, and Eli? If Eli and dejulius are what they appear to have developed into, and I believe they are, then the Answer is no, right?

All three are outstanding creators and scorers and all three are solid defenders. With z being elite and Eli very good.

All last year I kept saying Eli can get that pull up two any time he wants but he kept rimming out or sometimes bricking badly, now itā€™s going down. It may not be the most efficient shot metrically in hoops but for Eli it is and he can get that pull up whenever he wants. Itā€™s pretty much impossible to stop and heā€™s automatic from there.

2 Likes

Heā€™s shooting 34% on ā€œother twosā€

Heā€™s had some key ones to Stop runs though. Itā€™s definitely a shot we can go to if we canā€™t get anything else, but Iā€™d prefer it not be an early option

1 Like

So Iā€™ve only seen highlights of the Iowa st game and zags game bit watched the whole game of every other matchup. Those deep twos from the elbow extended up on both sides that he takes on pull ups or head fakes on threes and steps in have looked pretty automatic. Iā€™d be very surprised to find on his shot chart In those areas that he shot 33 percent this year. I would literally have had to miss all his misses. I can think of about 5 of those shots I saw and he made all of them but one.

If he was missing from twos on the sides or on floaters those I can recollect, but on those deep pull ups down into the foul line area, straight on, he has looked pretty butter.

Was that a revenge game for Bajema after being largely (completely?) neglected on the recruiting trail by the local Zags?

Not sure itā€™s much of a revenge factor when he didnā€™t play until garbage time.

Eli needs DeJulius to teach him that floater - itā€™s a tough shot and David is very good at it. Eli has a habit of getting stuck between a jumper and a layup and always struggles when he does.

He often banks floaters way too hard off the glass. Thatā€™s my only problem with his two point shot selection. Iā€™m even okay with some long twos here and there off the screen if weā€™re in a bit of an offensive funk and just need an open look to get going.

On the contrary I wish DDJ had Eliā€™s athleticism and defensive abilities. Heā€™d be a really good PG if he had those.

Maybe Iā€™m the only one old enough to reference GI Joe, but sounds like a Tomax/Xamot issue.

If Eli gets fouled, then DDJ feels it?

3 Likes

Lol was more thinking that they are mirror images - one parts their hair one on the right, ones a lefty the other a righty etc.