Game 7: Michigan vs. Gonzaga Recap

Who is on the all-tournament team? Having trouble finding it

1 Like

Livers, Teske, Powell. Guessing Haliburton and maybe Anthony as well.

The tournament is technically still going. Have they already decided on the all tournament team?

I, for one, welcome any and all slights towards Simpson people are dumb enough to make in the middle of this stretch of high majors.

10 Likes

Okay, 20 minutes later and I’ve read far too much of what ignorant fans of teams that just got embarrassed think😒 shout out to @umhoops for keeping our opinions somewhat based in fact😂

1 Like
3 Likes

Wow, did Pritchard outplay X at the tournament?

Teske (Mvp), Livers, Petrusev, Pritchard, Powell.

I voted for Simpson and Anthony over Powell and Livers.

1 Like

Too many TOs for X, plus he only played 2.5 games

He had 32 assists to 11 turnovers and averaged a double double.

18 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what was your rationale for Simpson over Livers?

I would take Livers for this tournament as he seemed more vital to excelling. Brooks and, moreso, DDJ showed that they were running the team - Maybe not as effectively as Simpson but it still felt like we worked well. I am just not sure that we have someone who could replace in any shape or fashion what Livers did for us. This probably boils down what you have for backups. If Teske has to sit, I feel fine with Castleton. If X is out for a game, DDJ and Brooks have shown themselves to be serviceable. I am just not sure if Livers is out for an extended period of time, how his value on the team is replaced

Yep. That group was playing great defense at the time. Just felt like a couple times this week I looked at the bench and he rode with someone like X, Isaiah or Jon on the bench maybe a few possessions longer than I would expect. Something to track this year for sure.

Well, first off Livers hit a pair of threes after I already handed over my ballot. :rofl:

I voted for Simpson because he was controlling the game in the second half and most of those threes that Michigan was making were coming off of him operating out of ball screens.

I didn’t really think about it as far as who was most important to any team, just was quickly writing names down who played well this week.

5 Likes

You know how hard it is to average 11 assists?

9 Likes

Yeah that is a super impressive stat. It wasnt meant as a slight to Simpson in any regard. I actually think that all three probably deserve to be on the team but it probably doesnt look good for that when there are 7 other teams in the tournament (four of them being ranked).

For me, Simpson did a masterful job again on O and D per usual, but just seemed more out of control (turnovers and fouls). That was why I would put him a half step behind Livers for the tournament - splitting hairs here.

He had 8 TOs against ISU and only played 17 minutes against UNC. He had a great game against Gonzaga, but until then I wouldn’t have said he played vintage X basketball in the tournament.

1 Like

TESKE has come a long way and has no fear! His development in 4 years has been really fun to watch. This team has the critical components for a late season run!

1 Like

It’s amazing that he has essentially become the most important player on a very good team. I never would’ve imagined that 4 years ago.

1 Like

Two seniors and two juniors in the starting lineup. This is a luxury Juwan Howard will probably not be afforded going forward.

Nobody in the good OL’ USA or the Bahamas for that matter gets lower on the dribble than young David DeJulius (I don’t think it’s possible). I think going up against X everyday had done wonders for his handle, confidence, game.

Breaking news here: Wagner is going to be very very good. He improved every game and has a poise about him that belies his freshman status.

Juwan Howard has been fantastic. And a thank you to Coach Beilein for leaving the program in such a great state

9 Likes

“Two seniors and two juniors in the starting lineup. This is a luxury Juwan Howard will probably not be afforded going forward” - I hope he is learning the value of 3/4-year players. We’ll need plenty to go with the marquee talents we’re focused on in recruiting.

3 Likes