Game 4: Houston Baptist at Michigan Recap

I just watched the highlights from the Game and x is a bad man. His passing ability is outrageous. He is really seeing the floor as a senior on another level. He had two or three passes where he looked off the defenders and caught some one cheating just to counter them and hit someone wide open under the hoop.

I actually think Howardā€™s offense might fit him better than coach bs and itā€™s really letting him loose to create and push the tempo to a pace that fits his strengths. This will inevitably cause more turnovers but the good outweighs the bad I think.

4 Likes

Just came here to write something similar. X is at a creative new level in this offense. The number of good signs in the early part of the seasons includes a more fluid Teske, an emerging Castleton, a sure-shooting Livers, and Eli as a very solid starter, none of which we could take for granted at the start of the season. Looking forward to Iowa State!

2 Likes

Nunezā€™ shooting form is solid, however, the ballā€™s flight is just a bit flat. He might benefit from a touch more arc. Teskeā€™s shot has nearly no arc whatsoever and he rarely bends his knees. A fairly easy fix if he isnā€™t too fatigued to remember to bend just slightly. Both shots have good rotation. Livers, on the other hand, shoots the ball with terrific arc and great touch as evidenced by the 3 that hit the front of the rim, bounced up, and fell through softly.

Keep in mind that teske is shooting from above the rim :smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m as high on X floor generalship as anybody but that was atrocious D by HBU. It looked like pre game layup line on many of those buckets

1 Like

Do you see a difference from high school film? He was lights out In the aau/ prep school films. Iā€™m thinking he is just choking a bit with the bright lights of d one hoops. Once he gets back to shooting and not aiming or whatever mental block is causing him to miss threes he clearly can hit then he will start to fill it up and cause defenses to make some uncomfortable choices.

1 Like

Yea they were bad but itā€™s not just this game. Minus the App St Game heā€™s looked like an absolute monster. Also some of those dimes he laid down were next level even against bad d. Just reacting perfectly to defenders and leaving them looking stupid.

Yes, HBU was horrible. Their defense was atrocious and their offense was just ā€œfire at willā€ no matter how off balance (that little guard, oh my!) or put your head down and drive. There is a reason HBU had almost no assists!

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, though, I think this was the first time they got totally blown out, like they were, maybe, a poor high school team. I think they were pretty respectable against some decent competition in their first three games. Well, I just checked they did lose by 29 at #12 TT after a couple of much closer games at Tulsa and Oral Roberts, though they were only down to TT by 15 at half compared to being down by, what, 37 against us at half. Last night it could have been whatever we wanted it to be, and kind of was. :grin:

1 Like

He had that one TO where he just led DDJ by too much, and that would have been an amazing assist had he connected. And he had another TO where, I donā€™t know, he was in the air looking for a teammate and he just lost the ball. I guess he needs bigger hands! :wink: Other than that he had just one other TO compared to 14 assists, and, as someone said, if Nunez had hit a couple of those wide open threes he would have had even more assists. It was amazing watching him work out there! So fun!

1 Like

If you can believe it, TT had a ā€˜safe lead reachedā€™ even before Michigan did against Houston Baptist. Torvik has a metric that calculates when there is a safe lead (not sure if it happens in real time or is calculated post-game) and TT hit it by going up 31 with 9:58 left in the game. Michigan reached thereā€™s with a defensive stop up 36 with 9:31 left! They currently sit second-worst in the entire country in points per game allowed with a whopping 97.3. I would definitely classify the TT game as a blow-out, but I would agree that against a couple of decent teams before that they hung around a bit.

Thanks for the input. I was at the game last night and HBU was NOT good. Earlier I likened them to a mediocre high school team. They are certainly better than that, but they are not goodā€¦at all. Michigan WAS good, for the most part, but Iā€™ll give you that Michigan was good against decidedly inferior competition. Given that, I had a blast at the game!

1 Like