Game 3: Michigan at Villanova Recap

Also…I know Iggy and Matthews led the way in scoring/offense. But mid-way in the game I hadn’t seen a box score and was trying to think who was leading us on offense, and Simpson was the only one that stood out to me. Only finished with 9 points, but thought he was really the catalyst. Need him in attack mode for this offense to be at it’s best.

I was struck by how much flexibility this gives Beilein - he can have top-notch defense whether he goes big or small, so he has the freedom to attack in whichever way he chooses.

1 Like

Great win, Poole hasn’t been shooting it well but i think that will come along. He has stepped his game on D and with assist this year. I still think that one of the other freshman besides Iggy is going to come up big this year. not sure who though lol

1 Like

Michigan has the 2 best defensive coordinators Don Brown and Luke Yaklich.

3 Likes

This. As much as Simpson is knocked for his lack of shooting, his ability to create, finish at the rim and blow by defenders is very good. Would it be nice to have him be able to hit the three ? Of course but I’m convinced if he keeps his mind on looking to create and score that he can chip in 10 points a game and be a net positive even on offense with his current skill set.

I’m fact if Simpson could shoot from the line and downtown he’d be the complete package and you’d have to start to talk about him as a top 10 pg in the nation.

2 Likes

What are everyone’s thoughts on Johns? Kid is real deal on the talent level but i can see he is struggling with the Coach B/Michigan style of basketball. Everyone says it is a learning curve but once he gets it watch out.

1 Like

He’ll be good. Might be this year he gets it, but probably next. Also excited about Castleton.

1 Like

Intent to deceive.

3 Likes

Agreed, it will be fun to watch them both progress this year.

1 Like

You, me and everyone else brother. Well not everyone I guess. https://gfycat.com/thickfarbettong

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see MSU’s tough guy act this year. I am sure they have been practicing hard in the mirror.

6 Likes

Agreed…if Simpson could hit the three at 40% and 80% from the line, he’d be Chris Paul and gone by now (or after this year). Keeping a defense honest would be nice. I think he’ll get there. As long as he’s constantly attacking we should be good. Often I feel like he forgets he can blow by someone.

I am starting to wonder if Z could make it in with worse numbers than that. I don’t know. I just can’t get over how awesome he defends. He obviously needs to shoot better than he is doing now but maybe a team would want him if he was just an average shooter.

1 Like

For reference, Aaron Craft (OSU) has played in either the D league or overseas since graduating in 2014.

How do you think Z and Aaron Craft compare as defenders? Aaron Craft was a bit taller, but perhaps not as quick on the offensive side as Z. How would they compare as shooters?

1 Like

Craft was an effective three point shooter when on a team with Sullinger and a number of other shooters. When that safety net disappeared, he fell to about 30% - so I’d say his shooting is probably similarly limited to X.

X’s assist rate is a little worse than Craft’s and his turnover rate somewhat better. The big difference is that Craft had nearly a 6% steal rate to Simpson’s 3.8%, which is a pretty marked difference.

2 Likes

I think they are comparable defenders. Wouldn’t be surprised i Z gets the edge after this year and next…Z is a cleaner defender. Craft benefited from looser rules I think…Craft does not compare in offensive quickness. Z is way faster. Not even close. Z has way more athleticism. Craft had a vertical of 29 inches at the combine. I think Z a likely closer to 40 but I don’t know. Craft is the better shooter. Z needs to be able to shoot better. I don’t even believe he is using all of his athleticism.

On the other hand good shooting is becoming increasingly more necessary in the NBA.

1 Like

Looking at Craft’s senior year, he was at a 4.5% steal rate. 3.8% as a junior. 4.7% as a soph.

I always thought of Craft as a bit of an overrated defender, I don’t remember him having the impact that X does right now. But maybe I was just young and dumb

Idk, I remember him making things very difficult on Burke during those matchups.

2 Likes

3? I’d say 4. Livers is the most versatile defender we have by far, and can physically bang inside with bigs and has the foot speed to check on the perimeter. He was fantastic guarding Paschall and whomever else. Also, he’s a very good rebounder because he’s now used to having to play physical versus opposing teams due to defending posts as a freshman. He might be Michigan’s best overall rebounder or just keeping the ball alive for teammates to grab it. If Livers didn’t get hurt last night his stats would’ve surely looked even more impressive too. Got a team loaded with plus defenders!

2 Likes

You mentioned Isaiah’s rebounding. I believe he was only credited with two rebounds last night, but I could have sworn he had more than that. I watched the game again and he had 3 rebounds in the first half alone. Not sure about the second half as I got busy and didn’t watch it too closely, and as you pointed out, he missed some time after the fall.

As far as lateral movement, I particularly watched him when he switched off on Gillespie and he stayed in front of the kid. Not bad when a 6’7 235 four/five can stay in front of a 6’3 point guard. I agree, Isaiah is a good defensive player, too.