Game 3: Michigan at Villanova Recap

Didn’t mention him in my bullets, but it was nice to see DeJulius knock in a three. He took another one later and Beilein was screaming at him that he had a guy wide open. I think he still has a long way to go and the better chance is that Eli becomes a more reliable option to give 15-20 mins at both guard spots.

2 Likes

I think it will play out differently. Brooks getting minutes at the 2 and DeJulius getting minutes at PG (eventually). I also think this is what Beilein envisions. He’s alluded to it a few times. DeJulius 3 point ability is going to be counted on imo

1 Like

I guess I meant we have 8 guys we can rely on. I trust all three bench guys. Eli and livers look like they can light up most benches.

Also there is no weakness in the starting five. On any given night we got 7 guys who could drop 10-15 on you.

1 Like

Also as jj mentioned I expect johns or dejulius or maybe both to be competent in spot minutes by seasons end.

This was more my take than literal numbers. There is teams who play 8 guys but many guys are non factors. I don’t see that here,

I see a roster that has a lot of options and guys who could be relied on in big games.

Here’s a doozy of a stat: Michigan is ranked 12th nationally in block rate. Only time U-M has been better than 200th was Beilein’s first year when Ekpe Udoh was on the roster.

7 Likes

Speaking of Teske…
Seriously Teske needs more attention, he’s been very very good defensively. Too many stars tonight

1 Like

I’m absolutely stunned by this result. What a fun game to watch. Trying not to get swept up in it but its tough. If this team can figure out the offense consistently… I think Poole is the key there.

3 Likes

Just a tremendous all around game. This M team is truly an unselfish COMPLETE TEAM. No doubt about it.

1 Like

Great recap, I really love the player by player bullets. Content on this site is great and unique, not your average post game column.

12 Likes

I think at least one will emerge. The younger guys seemed to take a big step in confidence last night. Castleton looked lost his first time out, but not last night. DeJulius and Johns looked more sure of themselves too. Yeah, that was serious garbage time, but with more minutes against the cupcakes, at least one of those guys will be able to step in once January rolls around.

Matthews effectively took Booth out of the game. Nova was hamstrung early with him shut down.

GREAT move by coaches to assign Matthews to him. Just to big to shoot over with any consistency.

Matthews D is just out of sight. Simpson easily dominated his matchup with an overmatched newbie pounding the rock all over.

Just a very enjoyable win all around. The ceiling has been raised.

2 Likes

Great recap! Defensive basketball is rarely pretty unless it’s your team doing it to the other team, and, fortunately, it is. It’s also clear that the team is much better offensively than they showed in the first two games, but it would be nice to shoot 7-18 at the three point line regularly. It would make the team an offensive juggernaut too.

1 Like

Great stuff, as always. A typical JB team starts (started?) slow because it took a while to get the offense in rhythm. But defense can start right away, because that’s effort. Combine the two? Look out.

2 Likes

I love how our intense defense just sucks the fun out of the game for the other team. The looks on their faces, their body language, the other team knows they have entered a nightmare. All while our dudes are relaxed with smiles on their faces. Except when we are at the free throw line of course. Haha. I am curious to see if Iggy is in fact the best free throw shooter in the world and I wonder if he is determining that by his percentage of makes or some other criteria. Love the personality of this team!

2 Likes

Have we seen a Michigan freshman show up like this during a huge non-conference game since Trey Burke did?

1 Like

His defense was impressive for a freshman too. About Iggy, think I heard Raftery, in a very quiet and understated way say: “he knows. He just knows.”

It is impressive, but I’m sure those prep years help. He’s not the youngest freshman. Still, he really put on a show on the big stage.

2 Likes

He’s at a strange age. He’s old enough to have gray ear hair, but young enough to braid it.

3 Likes

Actually, in the second half with the game no longer in doubt (actually I don’t think it was ever in doubt) and Charles at the line, and I was just telling him, through the TV (LOL), “Just shoot it, don’t think about it, just shoot it like in practice,” Charles was kidding with the ref and he got that big Charles Mathews smile on his face. I love that Charles Mathews smile! The guys were so intense on D but they were having so much fun! I think we all were! Oh, by the my! I don’t know about y’all, but I DEFINITELY yell at refs through the TV!

2 Likes

He is SO aggressive offensively! I LOVE it! Sometimes we get to passive on “O” but not IGGY! And can he FINISH!

1 Like