Game 22: Michigan at Iowa Recap

I still believe in DDJ long term quite a bit…but I am shocked by how bad his jumper has looked even in garbage time. Based on high school tape, I assumed he would come in day one with a lethal off the dribble jump shot and his misses haven’t looked close at all

2 Likes

When someone who has been shooting well most his high school career throws up such awful bricks I attribute it to nerves. I’m not that worried.

Did you see Dylan’s on/off splits the other day? Team defensive efficiency is tops when Brooks is on the court. Something like 0.75 ppp.

2 Likes

I don’t think Brooks is even good enough for Sacred Heart or Niagara.

2 years ago at this time, the same was said about Zavier Simpson

5 Likes

Many did. I didn’t. His defense and vision were obvious even then.

You know you’ve arrived as a program when every loss results in opposing fans storming the court

2 Likes

Agreed. No one stormed the court for MSU’s loss last night. Just shows the state and respect others have for our program :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

What I find humorous is that Iowa was ranked #19 last week and has been in the top-25 for most of the season. Not exactly a recipe for a court storming IMO.

3 Likes

Count me with those who believe Teske is a fine passer - maybe the best passing big Beilein has had in Ann Arbor. Iggy, on the other hand, still thinks pass is a four letter word. Matthews doesn’t pass or shoot as well as Livers, and that was a big problem on Friday night - the best way to attack the zone would have been for Livers or Teske to flash to the foul line, receive the ball and make a play, but they were sitting next to each other on the bench.

1 Like

lol. whoa. hot take. He is certainly struggling right now, especially on the offensive side of the ball. In fact, his season trajectory is shockingly similar to last year’s (flashes of promise, followed by a free fall of confidence and offensive efficiency), which is a concern for his future.

However, his defense has been rock solid this year, and the stats back it up. Not sure that any criticism of his defense holds water.

Also, Niagra? Sacred Heart? Come on, man. Don’t be silly.

7 Likes

I understand your perspective as I have watched most games. But, that said, it still sounds like a weak excuse. Why don’t we have more players step up when others struggle? Indiana won at MSU with Juwan Morgan out the entire second half. He is their second leading scorer and top rebounder - not unlike Teske! Breslin is a tough win. Very disappointed in our team for this game.
Our starters play full minutes even when they are having a total shit game. It’s no wonder our subs beyond top 6/7 play scared.

Seriously, if you remove 2 out of any teams top 6 players you’ll see a fall off in success. Are you really serious about your argument?

1 Like

That is always true for teams that are only 6-7 deep. My point is why are we still only 6-7 deep? Consistent with others saying it differently - we need more players to get experience. As we saw in this game, one guy stepped up a bit - Castleton. He only got minutes because of foul trouble and inept play by the other bigs. Maybe he is a diamond in the rough. But, the runway is shrinking to find out.

1 Like

I know his style of play doesn’t lead to many, but it’s still pretty crazy that Eli Brooks has attempted 3 free throws this year. None in the last 16 games.

I see no issue with @Bmbeach’s notion that Michigan gets hurt more than most teams in that situation due to depth issues.

Not sure I’m on board with the idea that playing them more earlier would do much to solve that at this point though. I also certainly don’t think that they’re “running out of time” or anything. They’re freshman. We’ve seen sooooo many freshman to sophomore jumps under Beilein that I don’t see how anyone could think any player’s time is running out halfway through the Big Ten season of their freshman year. So yeah I guess I half agree with you :slight_smile:

To clarify, I meant time is running short to grow depth this season before B1G and NCAA Tourney. We could still uncover hidden talent during post-season but that’s even more unlikely. I love our team and we are having an outstanding season regardless of any analysis. But without one guy, Teske, we typically struggle to keep pace. We’ve had games where Livers keeps things going at the 5, but it’s a consistent theme with Teske and any other starter out.

1 Like

Yeah this seems totally reasonable to me.

My first thought was “Mitch, definitely in the Beilein Era” and I still think Mitch was probably better, even with less experience. But Mitch’s assist rate as a freshman was 6.3% and Teske’s this year is 6.3%. Mitch had 12.6% as a sophomore, but that was a small sample of only 8 games. Ugh, wish he had more time with Mitch.

1 Like

It’s not Jon that frustrates me or bogs down the offense at times, . Teske has been great. We just have to make better decisions and move the ball. and get in a groove. I have faith. I only mentioned his name because I was comparing the two rosters and he’s the new starting center.