Game 22: Michigan at Iowa Recap

I’d like to see what Castleton looks like. I’d like if we could find johns 5-10 a game. I think his offensive ability could really be needed , we just need to get him comfortable so he plays aggressive and with confidence

4 Likes

Like Champions said, I think Johns is a four and really could get those 5-10 minutes at the four spot. IF, and it could be a big if, but if Castleton can show, in practice, that he deserves it, I would really love to see him get the backup minutes at the five , and we could still use Livers there, too. Maybe Castleton’s not ready, but he looked pretty good in his limited minutes last night, at least defensively and on the boards. I’d sure like to find out if he can handle it, but you know he has to prove it in practice.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand calling them a bad passing team, or at least not sure how that’s a hinderance this year but wasn’t last year.

Teske is a better passer than Moe. Zavier hs improved. Charles was a starter last year so that’s a wash.

Of course Iggy needs a lot of improvement there, so Freshman Livers > Iggy.

Poole is more than capable but hasn’t hit that point of consistency yet.

+3 with Teske in, even with Livers and even with Castleton. -13 with Davis and Johns (who I agree looks out of position at C). Plus-minus can be misleading, but I would argue not in this case - the eye test certainly supported it (granting that I only saw the first half).

1 Like

They haven’t passd it well imo. Not doing something well isn’t to say they can’t do it well. I think they’ve been much worse in transition. I didn’t see last night but I’ve seen them miss guys particularly on breaks over and over. I don’t know the stat by heart but what that person posted about the assist rate for iggy and Charles sounds about right. Visually it appears that way to me.

I’d say maar, moe, and Duncan moved it better and often made a lot less mistakes compared to iggy, teske and Poole. Add in Charles as an even bigger go to option and it adds up.

I’ve been shocked at how often we get a steal and then throw it right back or come up empty on a 3 on 2 break.

Their decision making across the board just hasn’t been great on offense. I think they will figure it out though.

2 Likes

Definitely agree there, they have a lot of improvement they can make in transition. I’m actually shocked they’re not a lot better when running, given the pieces they have.

The thing I love about this team is their willingness to pass and play unselfishly. I still believe everyone but Iggy (who isn’t selfish, just his style of play) is a good and willing passer, it just doesn’t look that way right now.

I still firmly believe they’re out of their rhythm and flow, not because they can’t pass but just naturally in a slump.

I agree a hundred percent but that’s what I’m saying, they’ve been a bad passing team lately. I certainly think they can do it and I actually am not as worried as some about the offense cause I have a feeling they will figure it out. A lot of that not hitting the right guy at the right time messes up a teams rhythm and it looks clunky out there.

I’m only slightly worried about iggy when it comes to the finished product. There’s been too many times where he definitely looked off better looks to take it. Fortunately he’s finished so well still it hasn’t totally bit us in the ass , but with better defenders and in closer games in the future that might not be the case.

Also I think they can improve on moving without the ball more. Haven’t seen much good off ball movement, back doors, hard/ clean cuts that open the floor and have been a staple of dominate coach b offenses.

1 Like

Gotcha. I definitely just misinterpreted then. I’m right there with you in the optimism and this being temporary. Beauty is we’ve seen this team hit full stride, we know it’s there. Unlike other years where you’re not sure and trust they get there come March.

I agree with Dylan though, the offense hitting their stride is going to come down to Poole. He’s the make-or-break guy. Maybe not to get to the second weekend but he’ll make-or-break them against the more talented teams.

I didn’t shred you. Come on. It’s just that you(and now silverblue) seem to imply that somehow these freshmen can magically turn it on and “seize” the minutes. I think it’s silly to think they haven’t been trying to do that all along.

1 Like

Since I didn’t see it what did Castleton look like that gave everyone optimism?

You somehow think I think “that somehow freshmen can magically turn it on and ‘seize’ the minutes?” You think I’m being “silly.” Hmmm…interesting.

I’m just acknowledging that they need to display it in practice first. They need to prove in practice that they are ready to provide some quality minutes in games. When (if) they get into a game that is when they need to “seize” the opportunity.

By the way, there is nothing magic about it. It’s just plain hard work and the resolve to get better. Did I say Colin is not already working hard? Nope, but sometimes there is another level. I’m encouraging him to find that level if it exists. And it ain’t magic.

Sly, he grabbed two rebounds in four minutes by working his tail off. He recorded a block. Generally played good positional defense, and was in GREAT position on the baseline to take a charge against one of Iowa’s bigs. I thought he did a good job on the defensive end. It was very encouraging, I thought.

I hear you on that. It’s a process in the learning curve. I wasn’t trying to state it’s that easy to just flip a switch. It’s been like that for a lot of Michigan first year players over the years.

However, with the way Davis and Brooks are trending (regressing), I was implying that there could be a tremendous opportunity for them to elevate themselves even more into game action. I am sure they practice hard and improve daily. What I am implying is their (Castleton and DDJ) time could be arriving now and to be ready and focused.

Also, if they can show value when they play hard and disciplined, they might even have a chance at supplanting Brooks and Davis.

2 Likes

Eli was my X factor going into the season. I was really hoping he would make the sophomore leap and become a key bench piece but it’s not happening. This team badly needs another reliable offensive weapon and it’s not at all clear where it will come from.

I still don’t understand why a hot program like Villanova recruited him so hard.

Hopefully Eli can turn it around and have a respectable career. He’s trending into an underwhelming category like Chatman, Doyle, Donnal, Vogrich.

This might be a stretch because he is the one freshman who didn’t play and I’m sure there is a reason for that, but I wonder if Nunez could be an option. I just think of that shot he made in garbage time @ Indiana and that is the elite skill that he has and we certainly have a need for it. If Brooks isn’t going to shoot it, I will bet you he will!

Sweet, to be clear I literally didn’t see the game, I was working. Didn’t know if people thought I was being sarcastic. I saw the first five minutes then the last three on my breaks.

This team just needs one or two more guys to give them something. The situation as is can be very volatile and either a bad ref or some bad decision making can really hurt us with just the 6 guys.

I can see it although he is trending the wrong way. I think people forget these are kids and a lot of the battle is between the ears with them. Confidence is HUGE.

I do think his fit may not be the best and he would have been better with nova for instance. Eli can shoot , although he hasn’t done it consistently, he can defend, he can create his own looks and for others.

Early in the year I liked what he brought off the bench. I actually thought if guys cut off of him or pushed the pace with him he would have created nice looks for us but instead most the time he ran and pushed the ball and no one came with him so he looked kinda silly and out of control, or he got in the lane and no one cut so he dribbled into trouble and got stuck.

I saw what he was trying to do and was thinking and I kinda liked it as a change of pace but it’s not our teams style per say. I think he understands how to get guys open and create angles kind of like Nash was so good at doing.

I’m hoping he regains his confidence and that coach b will let him work through some of his mistakes because out of all the guys we have on the bench currently outside of livers he’s our best hope for an offensive boost.

1 Like

I see few of those attributes in Brooks. Putting aside his reticence to do much of anything, I’d suggest he D is weak–often losing his man because he isn’t strong enough to work through picks–his release is slow and his 3-shooting is essentially flat-footed, he hasn’t demonstrated an ability to get to past his man off the dribble, and his vision is very average. The fact that Villanova offered him as well is irrelevant at this point. I think Brooks can be better…in a different system or environment, like the MAC or marginally better. The fact that DeJulius can’t find time there–and his struggles when on the court-- is troubling and doesn’t bode well going forward.

Awful take on DDJ

3 Likes