Former Michigan Players NOT in NBA

I played pinball (South Quad) next to Phil Hubbard, Joel Thompson, and Dave Baxter - that’s all I got. Can’t prove it, but I think I would have beaten them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe beaten them at pinpall, but not at hair.

1 Like

I knew all of those guys well, as I covered the team for the Daily from '74-'76. I never played pinball or hoops against them, but did play an IM hoops game where several team members were walking through the IM building, saw me, and decided to watch and loudly critique my play, which they said was only fair because I got to comment on them in the Daily. It was all in good humor, but let’s just say that they were not impressed with my skillset. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

My brother was a student at that time. I was visiting and pointed out Phil Hubbard to him. I was in awe. My brother had never heard of him. Two distinctively different views on Michigan basketball, and sports in general.

2 Likes

Since the CCRB is getting talked about, Michigan (and other college) players would sometimes play at Burns Park (and Wheeler Park) in the late-80’s/early-90’s. Rumeal’s SI Cover shoot was taken at Burns Park. Now, hardly anyone uses that court in the summer. Not that I can really play anymore but I miss seeing those courts alive.

8 Likes

I played some pickup with players at Burns Park in the early 70s and at the IM, too. “Bird” Carter, John Lockhart, Joe Johnson and others, including some football players. Played against Dave Hart at the old Waterman Gym a couple of times. Knowing where the dead spots were in the floor was a home court advantage.

3 Likes

Played with a number of bb players in the 1970s and lots of football players at the old IM. But my best memory was just Henry Wilmore and I shooting hoops for at least an hour at the outdoor courts across from East Quad–now part of the Bus School. We hardly spoke, but shagged each other’s shots.

And if you played during daylight hours at East Quad, someone needed to bring along a case of Little Kings.

3 Likes

I shot at Burns Park early on in the pandemic (EDIT: when courts were open again. I’d totally forgotten that period where even outdoor courts weren’t), and the rims do seem bouncier than they used to. I think there used to be four posts at the base of the hoop and they changed them to the more traditional one pole. I think that’s created a little less stability and more wobble. They also don’t have the chain nets. That was a cool sound.

lol I got about 3 months of a CCRB before they completely destroyed it so they could build a brand new one that won’t be done until I graduate in 2026. Now there is a big white dome/tent across on a field. IM is the only spot to play good hoops :rofl:

2 Likes

Me and a buddy beat Denard Robinson and Je’Ron Stokes in a game of pool in the South Quad basement. Also ate Ciao Down pizza.

5 Likes

What all did they put in the bubble?

Just all the weight equipment from the old CCRB

Sad that they couldn’t lay out one court.

2 Likes

Brandon Johns headed to Sweden.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8JneyiONZc/?igsh=ZWxnM24yZnowOHRh

7 Likes

Eli is a champ

15 Likes

Darius Morris cause of death had to do with drugs as well as heart disease.

Looks like Eli was their second leading scorer. Hopefully he hangs in there with the promotion to Serie A

5 Likes

Love that! Hopefully a long playing career then comes back to U-M to coach. Miss the Professor!

1 Like

Eli is being an elite impactor of winning merchant

6 Likes

https://x.com/umichbball/status/1803141387807834135

10 Likes