Former Michigan Players NOT in NBA

Charles Matthews just graduated from Michigan

35 Likes

Really happy for him.

Good for Spike, and I don’t blame him for taking the job, but that picture makes me sick! :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

I always expected Spike to become a coach. Good luck to him…hopefully he gets a promotion to a less annoying school next year.

3 Likes
5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Michigan Players in the NBA

Great post. Here’s the full text of the caption at the bottom of the screenshot:

This post is simply about the Goodness of our Lord Jesus Christ!

13 years ago, I met Coach John Beilein when he became the coach at Michigan. I was a walk-on and I remember our first real conversation very vividly.

He simply told all the walk-ons that he could not guarantee us a spot on the team the following year, we wouldn’t be involved in the regular team activities going forward, and that only the scholarship players were his concern at the moment. All bad news.

But for someone that had already tried out three times to make the team, what’s the harm in a fourth tryout! :slight_smile:

A year later, I was selected as one of his captains.

And today, we both completed our first class as Co-Lecturers teaching a class on leadership and coaching in the School of Education at the University of Michigan.

This post is simply to give honor to God and to also encourage those out there to realize that the decisions we make today could show up bearing fruit 13 years later.

God Bless!

4 Likes

Looks like Zavier Simpson is headed over to Germany to play for a team called “Science City Jena” in the Bundesliga. Couple other Americans on the roster. Everybody’s journey goes through somewhere…

https://baskets-jena.de/newsarchiv/tickets/tx_news/zavier-simpson-und-demarcus-holland-verstaerken-science-city-jena/?tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=5c5ef9f53df82082a9f3c77fabf5dd8c

7 Likes

How on earth did you stumble across that news link?

Good for him. I will be curious to see what his international basketball career looks like - he could become a star somewhere and play for a decade…or his lack of a jump shot could cause him to call it quits early after a vagabond trek through a few leagues you’ve never heard of (check out Courtney Sims international career sometime…). Ultimately I think X is going to become a coach someday.

3 Likes

How many of you guys and gals rushed out to buy the ANTHONY WRIGHT signature shoe?

That was pretty hard to type with a straight face.

1 Like

If there was a degree program in self-promotion David Merritt would have an endowed chair, man.

(Not even an insult, I admire the hustle)

Hey now, he is responsible for the pass that single-handedly brought back Michigan basketball!

(/s if it wasn’t obvious, but still a cool thing)

5 Likes

I miss that uniform design. :heart:

1 Like

I was joking a little about Robbie Reid in another thread and decided to see whatever happened to him. This is from 2015 but it looks like he’s done pretty well since leaving Ann Arbor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1oUDZMmLg

Zavier Simpson’s time in Germany didn’t last that long…

6 Likes

We all know his limitations, but it’ll be interesting to see what he looks like with the kind of increased spacing you see in pro ball.

4 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

“Gettin’ Iggy with it.” Oy.