Michigan Players in the NBA

Just a little tone deaf: https://apnews.com/ed172a904235a5a14aead3ea9ea878a4

4 Likes

Now just Duncan, bummer.

Go Heat!

DJ Wilson is still in the playoffs on the technicality that he has a Milwaukee Bucks uniform.

2 Likes

More than a few analysts have obliquely implied that maybe part of Trey’s bubble success is a result being bubbled…curtailing some of his extracurricular activities. I know he’s said himself that he partied too much and worked too little earlier in his career. Hopefully he can keep this up.

1 Like

Not former Michigan players but I remember several years back some um writers went to a showdown game between Jalen Coleman and Jamal Murray during their jr years when um was after both and they reported Coleman supposedly had his way with Murray(clearly felt Coleman was the superior prospect). Coleman is now entering his 6th year in college as an average at best rotation player while Murray is lighting up the playoffs. Pretty amazing the different development paths of guys.

5 Likes

Looks like our friend Matt d still has his opinions about Duncan Robinson… :smile:

10 Likes

He also has 3 assists

Duncan is struggling somewhat but he’s +6 in 25 minutes in a game they lead by 3. He’s stressing out the Bucks defensively just by trying hard off-ball and being the shooter he is

4 Likes

Matt now do “Giannis only got 12 shots up”

1 Like

A sharp shooter can alter the game even if he does not shoot, as long as the other team has to spend considerable resource to contain him. Some people tend to view the game from the perspective of a scout and miss the real beauty of a team sport.

3 Likes

Similar to what @Kenny said above, it is well documented that Milwaukee likes to send extra help on drives to protect the paint, at the expense of three point attempts.

I just finished re-watching the game (and making a video) – the Bucks gave a lot of attention to Duncan, and did a good job of preventing his looks. However, I think that attention opened up lanes to the basket that normally aren’t available against Milwaukee. 33% of the Heat’s attempts were at the rim (67th percentile). The Bucks typically allow 29% of opponent shots at the rim, best in the NBA.

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

It’s really wild - he was never a good three point shooter but at least rose to mediocre, and was actually pretty solid shooting jumpers from midrange. He was also an excellent free throw shooter! Then it all just poof - vanished. (Westbrook)

I know he’s been good for them at points this year, but I still can’t get over how they traded CP3 away for him. I know there were reasons (Paul’s contract plus Paul and Harden didn’t get along), but still… they’ve been in win-now mode forever and Paul is just hands down a better player.

See Paul on that chart above with about ~200 more jumpers and ~15 pp more efficient compared to Russ. Would love to see a shot chart for those two guys.

It’s wild seeing Duncan Robinson standing out as an outlier in this graph. High volume, high efficiency and that makes him one of the most valuable player in the league this season.

Also, it’s amazing that Dame, Mitchell, Buddy, McCollum and Harden are able to maintain 50 eFG% with high volume attempt especially James Harden due to the fact that he carries a heavy offensive load yet still get his numbers.

1 Like

“Hey let’s corner the market on superextratotal ballhogs. I’m sure it’ll work.”

1 Like

Oh damn! I didn’t even see Robinson on the chart the first time because he was such an outlier at the top of the chart.

9 Likes

Same here…I even looked twice. Thanks for mentioning. Dang, that’s impressive!

3 Likes

I probably should have specified that was why I posted it :joy:

2 Likes