Five-star guard Josh Christopher commits to Arizona State

Normally I’d say no harm no foul, but you have to think this hype machine recruitment affected DDJ’s decision. If we got off JC’s case in January or February, we might have retained him. Too tough to say what’s worth the risk and what isn’t. That’s why I’m on a message board and Juwan is getting paid! :joy:

Can’t let the kids dictate the recruitment. Give the time and space, but need to get a commitment. Locking up guys early is the way to go (obviously hard to do in Year 1).

Get an answer from Todd already. Time is up. Make a decision.

1 Like

Agree juwan in his comments last year seemed very nonchalant in some of his comments about giving kids space and letting kids decide on their own time but sometimes you eventually just have to push and if you dont get the kid move on. You have to especially do this when its a must have position in the class like sg was this year. Thats what Beilein did.

1 Like

I mean this thread isn’t exactly the place for measured takes but the 2018-19 team had one of the best regular seasons in Michigan history. When it comes to glory in college basketball it comes down to a single elimination tournament and sometimes you run into a Buzzsaw like Texas Tech. Put it this way, if they got the same draw as 2017-18, Brazdeikis easily could’ve led Michigan to a National Championship game.

11 Likes

Beilein had his methods, and the one thing he did was move on once the window of opportunity wasn’t taken. I agree Juwan seemed nonchalant in letting the kids decide when they want. Juwan’s definitely got charisma/ cool factor/connections/good coaching/training. Can’t get played a day before signing day like this.

Guys don’t always play exactly like their rankings. Iggy had a very productive freshmen year. Plenty of five star kids don’t play as well as he did.

I would be pleasantly surprised if Todd signs, or shows up this fall. I wouldn’t count on it.

Well, at least for this year, he didn’t really recruit and wait on Christopher to the exclusion of others. Juwan got into the game late and even then, we would have gladly taken commitments from either Springer or Burnett.

Well, we recruited Burnett and Springer pretty hard and certainly would have taken a commitment from either. It’s not like we only recruited Christopher and ignored everyone else.

They have BJ Boston as their two guard.

I have always found it odd that a top player commits to such an unsuccessful program, and has been for its entire history.

Moving the f*ck on from the talented but tireseome Mr. Christopher… ready to concentrate on the actual team. I will never be more grateful for college hoops, regardless of roster, than this upcoming season, because there will be a season.

2 Likes

Same here. Kind of surprising that a guy, who clearly wants a ton of attention, picked an irrelevant program. ASU has never won the PAC-12 or PAC-12 tourney. They’ve won one March Madness game since 2009 and it was a play in game in the First Four.

4 Likes

Obviously Christopher does not care at all about playing on a great team in a great conference with a chance to be a National Champion. He prefers to play on an historically mediocre team in a mediocre basketball conference. All he cares about is showcasing himself, which is easier in a mediocre conference, to enter the NBA lottery in a year.

1 Like

Mediocre is being nice.

I think it’s more on a team where he can be the undisputed go to guy (along with family, let’s realize that is the main factor here).

2 Likes

With that said he’s not a great fit for the program. Team first!

Living in the Southwest for a year, playing against weak teams, before entering the NBA does not really seem like that bad of a decision in the grand scheme of things. It actually sounds like a lot of fun the more I think about it.

During Sam’s interview with JC’s father, the drawback with Michigan that he offered was that “Ann Arbor is too cold!” He said this twice during the interview. The coach, the team and the national exposure may have all been in place at Michigan, but ultimately the young man may have been more concerned about the climate.

2 Likes

If climate is the issue, then I hope he gets drafted by Minnesota or Boston next year.

10 Likes

Does his Dad have underlying conditions? Wouldn’t want to be in Michigan when the 2nd wave hits.