Eating Crow

It’s about that time…Im man enough to admit when Im wrong, and the time has come for that with the pledge from Mr. Battle. I couldn’t be happier to look like a fool!

Of all the upper tier recruits we were seriously pursuing, I thought we had the slimmest chance with Battle based on interviews with Pops, Syracuse offering as an on ball guard, whereas we didn’t (at least initially).

I’ve always been of the opinion that JB was a good coach (not great), but thought his inability to recruit would always keep us in the mediocre/good range as opposed to good/great. With Tyus in the mix along with Teske, we likely have a top 25 class, and with one more upper tier guard (Winston or Walker), we will have a GREAT class.

The last 2 years have been underwhelming from a recruiting standpoint, swing after swing, miss after miss. The ride finally swung our way, and we beat out UK, Duke, Syracuse, OSU…and damn it feels good. I don’t think Battle is on the same level as a Langford or Brown in terms of shot creation, but no doubt upper tier.

As someone that has been critical of JB from a recruiting standpoint, I say this - My apologies to you JB, you (and every poster here that dislikes my skepticism) deserve it. He Closes the deal after putting in work for the better part of 2 years.

Great to be a Wolverine! Go Blue!

I think that the staff showed Battle how much Nik, Caris and THJ had the ball in their hands as 2 guards, making the PG issue moot. In the end, Battle just liked the coaches, the players (often overlooked, but personal fit with teammates is important), Ann Arbor, the academics.

Awesome post MattD. At the end of the day, we all want the same things, and share every amazing success and failure together, regardless of the arguments. We all have different ways of thinking, but when big things happen, we are all on the same side, for better or for worse. This is why such a forum is amazing!

Well put Matt D. For all everyone’s bickering and disagreements days like today truly bring us all together as Michigan fans!

So who do you feel will be the ideal fit alongside Battle at the PG position.

I’m wondering if this could sway Winston towards us. Or if Goodin jumps on board now. Could we see a quick commitment from somewhere not wanting to miss out now.

Patience is not a strong suit of mine…thankfully it is for JB.

One thing to note on Battle. When choosing a HS in Jersey he passed on what may be considered traditional parochial powers such at St Pats and St Anthony to attend Gil. The same way he just passed on Duke and other blue bloods.

I agree with Matt that I think Langford had more singular ability to be a difference maker, but Tyus will be great in the system Beilein uses. With him on board, a 2016 potential class of Winston, Battle, and Teske, and Davis coming in the 2016 or 2017 class is looking pretty good right now.

The thing I love about Battle…he will probably be around for a few years.

Me thinks they felt a little burned by Brown and decided to strap on the big boy pants and play the game. Good job Coach B and staff!

Well stated Mathew!

It's about that time.......Im man enough to admit when Im wrong, and the time has come for that with the pledge from Mr. Battle. I couldn't be happier to look like a fool!

Of all the upper tier recruits we were seriously pursuing, I thought we had the slimmest chance with Battle based on interviews with Pops, Syracuse offering as an on ball guard, whereas we didn’t (at least initially).

I’ve always been of the opinion that JB was a good coach (not great), but thought his inability to recruit would always keep us in the mediocre/good range as opposed to good/great. With Tyus in the mix along with Teske, we likely have a top 25 class, and with one more upper tier guard (Winston or Walker), we will have a GREAT class.

The last 2 years have been underwhelming from a recruiting standpoint, swing after swing, miss after miss. The ride finally swung our way, and we beat out UK, Duke, Syracuse, OSU…and damn it feels good. I don’t think Battle is on the same level as a Langford or Brown in terms of shot creation, but no doubt upper tier.

As someone that has been critical of JB from a recruiting standpoint, I say this - My apologies to you JB, you (and every poster here that dislikes my skepticism) deserve it. He Closes the deal after putting in work for the better part of 2 years.

Classy post, Matt.

Maybe you’re right about Walker–I’m going to be watching him carefully at the final EYBL. It will be interesting to see if they try to get guys like Walker and Aiken to the Elite Camp for an evaluation in front of the coaches.

It's about that time.......Im man enough to admit when Im wrong, and the time has come for that with the pledge from Mr. Battle. I couldn't be happier to look like a fool!

Classy post, Matt.

Maybe you’re right about Walker–I’m going to be watching him carefully at the final EYBL. It will be interesting to see if they try to get guys like Walker and Aiken to the Elite Camp for an evaluation in front of the coaches.

I am personally kind of high on Walker as well, insofar as I feel he’s underrated. I think I may prefer him to Ramsey.

I like Walker and Aiken more than Ramsey - both seem like far more polished scorers.

I actually like Battle more than Langford, too, though I think it’s still possible we could get both. Battle’s “kid mamba” nickname is spot on - he looks just like Kobe shooting that step back jumper. I think he’s a two year guy - will be a stud from day one but we’ll have lots of talent on that team.

Oh, and maybe playing time was an issue. He can step right in and start for Caris. At Duke, you’ve got Matt Jones, Kennard, and Allen (at least) as potential two guards.

This thread is great. Getting Josh Langford would make the 2016 class one of the strongest we’ve ever had. He seems to be the consensus top target in 2016 among the the UMHoops community.

Let’s hope one top kid attracts another top kid. I honestly think we will take 2 more kids in the class. Davis will reclassify and one kid will be asked to move on at the end of next year.

I think we’ll wind up with two more, too. I’ll bet Davis does reclassify, and even if no one is asked to move on, a player or two probably will - logjam for playing time, someone has an unexpectedly great year and leaves early (remember, no one saw Darius Morris or Nik being two year guys), or some combination of those. And we’re still waiting on Wagner to get in, too.

Congrats on humble pie post. We need more of that around here. You have set a fine example for the rest of us.

I think we all just gained a lot of respect for MattD. Well said!

very graceful post from MattD.

This was quite simply JBs biggest win on the recruiting trail at Michigan. Battle may not end up the highest rated or the best player, but he is the biggest win.

He had no obvious ties to the program; he came here because of all the things we have talked about since 2012. Development, facilities, on court success etc. Great to see those things all finally pay off.