Derrick Walton, Zak Irvin improving verticals

RT @CampSanderson Vertical Jump after 1yr at Michigan
DWalt +4.5" (33" to 37.5")
Z. Irvin +5" (30" to 35") pic.twitter.com/bQZ09aN01H

Schembechler, Burke, Sanderson - all guys who spent some time in Colombus and then did serious work for Michigan. Gotta love this.

Hopefully it translates in-game

Definitely can’t hurt…

Only if they do any jumping.

For comparison, in the combine the last couple years:
Stauskas:35.5 inch max vert
Robinson: 41.5 in
Burke: 36.5 in
Hardaway: 37.5 in
Morris: 32 in

Obviously some give and take… I bet Robinson jumped better than 41.5in when he tested at Michigan at one point or another, etc. … but a decent benchmark.

The increase from freshman to sophomore year is pretty dramatic – basically going from a below average athlete to pretty solid.

Its a bit different when you have a basketball in your hand and you aren’t allowed a running start.

Its a bit different when you have a basketball in your hand and you aren’t allowed a running start.

True, but improvement is improvement. Obviously putting the athleticism to use is important, but nice jumps from both of them.

I was basically just messing with you, but I endorse Dylan’s response.

They are also allowed to run and jump when the ball isn’t in their hands.

Such as? Don’t think we will see Irvin and Walton catching alley oops and chase down blocks.

Such as? Don’t think we will see Irvin and Walton catching alley oops and chase down blocks.

Crash the boards young fella!!!

Derrick seems way more athletic than Trey, yet just a 1 inch difference between max verts? Maybe the difference is that Trey barely jumped for rebounds and Walton skies for each one that comes his way. I don’t if anyone else does, but I certainly appreciate the fact that our starting PG is pretty damn good rebounder for just 6 feet tall.

Rebounding is about technique and instinct/timing

Derrick seems way more athletic than Trey, yet just a 1 inch difference between max verts? Maybe the difference is that Trey barely jumped for rebounds and Walton skies for each one that comes his way. I don't if anyone else does, but I certainly appreciate the fact that our starting PG is pretty damn good rebounder for just 6 feet tall.

Walton goes hard for the boards but I’ve never seen Walton dunk like Trey could on the break.

Derrick seems way more athletic than Trey, yet just a 1 inch difference between max verts? Maybe the difference is that Trey barely jumped for rebounds and Walton skies for each one that comes his way. I don't if anyone else does, but I certainly appreciate the fact that our starting PG is pretty damn good rebounder for just 6 feet tall.

Walton goes hard for the boards but I’ve never seen Walton dunk like Trey could on the break.

Well maybe we will now :slight_smile: He went from a vertical well below Trey’s to just above his. But Walton is a great rebounder for his size, no doubt about that.

Walton was a much better athlete out of HS than Burke from a verticality, lateral agility and straight line speed standpoint. I remember seeing reports of Burke increasing his vertical by 4 inches at UM, but Burke also has a 6’5 wingspan.

You may not have seen Walton dunk on the break at UM, but that’s by choice - video from last year (before arriving to UM) - forward to the 1:11 mark - he dunks with 1 or 2 with ease

The vertical is very important but I would also add that quickness off the ground plays a big part in rebounding. Some guys are quick to rise… others not so much! Where I think the increase in verticality comes into play is the catch and shoot. When you can jump straight up another 5 or 6 inches on the catch, it gives you an advantage over the recovering defender.

i’d love Walton to use those extra 5" on his vertical to attack the hoop and finish inside more often. He’s a strong kid and quick as snot.

The pull up jumper looks like money to me!