David DeJulius to enter transfer portal

Wow. Just seems to me there’s got to be more this story than basketball? With Simpson moving on, the opportunity should be there I would think. Even if Christopher joins the class, I would think that would be more of an issue for Brooks? What am I missing?

1 Like

DDJ is just not a PG. He’s a shooting guard trying to masquerade as one. He wants volume attempts.

He knows what’s coming. More minutes and better opportunities elsewhere.

It’s really that simple.

5 Likes

I really think DDJ is a heck of a college basketball player. I hope he finds success. Hopefully it’s not at MSU or OSU (I like that initial reach out list).

1 Like

I’m sure there are many factors that we don’t see but DDJ was a JB recruit in a PG first system. I always saw him as the next DWalton type of guard, ball in hand, make the right play and put up 15-20 per game. I’m quite sure JB was grooming him for that role given past PG play. JB loved to groom those kids on the bench to be the next floor coach. He wanted complete confidence that the PG and the coach see/play the same game. I think Juwan (given his pedigree) has the confidence to teach the game on the floor with higher ranked kids. My guess is that DDJ could see that. Different coach different culture…all good!

1 Like

I really like Ddj and feel like we only saw the tip of the iceberg with this one. I do think it might make sense for him though because he is a small 2 imo. Not that there is anything wrong with that but he’s better at creating looks for himself than others.

If Christopher comes that would have been an odd trio skill wise with Eli, josh, and Ddj.

I think if Ddj gets to the right program where he can be one of the featured scorers and look to create for himself that he is going to have a real nice junior and senior year. He can put the ball in the hole and his d look great late.

1 Like

Agreed on all counts. DDJ will fit in better elsewhere and understood that. Wish him luck.

2 Likes

Looks like Creighton and ASU, among others, are in the second wave of teams reaching out to DDJ. Wondering how he fits on some of these teams, its hard to say. I figure wherever he goes though he’ll be a very important piece.

A lot of people aren’t too sure about his fit as a pure PG but I think he was good enough in the two-PG sets that he could probably be an option at the 2.

2 Likes
6 Likes

I know Matt and Dave have a relationship, and he is just pumping up his boy, but that list of schools, does not scream “one of the most coveted transfers” in America. Not that it is a big deal, I think this is the level Dave needs to be at to get what he wants out of basketball, but the wording hit me with a chuckle.

3 Likes

If I’m looking at that list from my POV, I think it’s either Missouri or Marquette. Both staffs have Michigan connections and both rosters have players from Michigan. Marquette has Jamal Cain and Greg Elliott. Missouri has Tray Jackson (in the portal for now but he could return) and could add Justin Turner.

1 Like

Glad he’s out of the conference, and good luck to him. Those are some nice programs to play for.

8 Likes

I’m pulling for Marquette or Missouri. ISU fans are turning on Prohm.

So here’s my take on this. Yes the schools you are seeing aren’t the best basketball schools that he was in contact with but that was was Dave’s decision. Doesn’t make him any less coveted. All the schools that contacted him were interested but he chose these four. He was coveted but he was also smart. He chose the schools that would best help him get to the league. The whole reason he is leaving Michigan is because he wanted a bigger role than we had to offer him. Any of these teams he can be THE guy on.

Supposed to be in response to @MattR11

2 Likes

Agree. I think it “could” be Missouri, but I think it’ll be Marquette. Full disclosure, I know nothing! I just have a felling it will be Marquette. Regardless, I wish Dave everything good!

If he is good enough to be the man on those teams, and good enough to go to the league, why wouldn’t he be good enough to earn minutes at UM where there is a big need at pg?

Is he not going to be playing pg at those schools?

Thanks.

We don’t need him to play point guard that much? Dot do you think Mike Smith is going to come in and be the starter at the 1 for us? I would think most people agreed that DDJ/Smith probably would have seen the least time as primary ball handler with Josh and Eli in the fold.

Just looking at the teams and where they sit within their conferences, I think Marquette is better equipped to win when Dave gets eligible after a year. A lot can change by the time next year ends though. Especially when instant eligibility starts up. I think if he thinks he will be immediately eligible, Marquette has the much bigger need. Missouri has 2 competent point guards/combo guards in Smith and Pinson. Marquette lost Howard and have no guards coming in this upcoming class nor much point guard depth for this upcoming season. They do have 3 top 100 type wings/forwards coming in though. They also were a lock to make the tourney.

Missouri has 1 7’2 big who is largely unknown and weren’t even close to making the tourney this year. If immediate eligibility is on DD’s mind, Marquette seems the no brainer from my POV. I think where each program is at, Marquette is the safer bet as well. But we will see. I don’t think it’s fair to write off ISU or Cincy yet either though.

1 Like

How’d it work out at Marquette for Cain and Elliott

3 Likes

And that is a good question yet, perhaps not the right one.
Does he, DDJ, want to play pg or sg?
What did Howard want him to play: pg or sg?
Did Howard view him as a pg or more of a sg? (related question to above)
If, IF, Josh C is coming, and Howard viewed him as a sg not a pg then minutes could be tough to come by if, IF, Josh C is gonna be a starter. General msg board consensus is that he would be, fwiw.

All questions I don’t know the answer too.

1 Like

I’m not tracking the first part.
Is that a question for me? If so, UM is in desperate need for a pg. if he can’t best out Brooks or Jackson as a pg, then I’m having a hard time buying this “to the league” mindset.

I don’t know how good Smith is, yeah, given the situation UM has at pg, got to think there is a chance.

Are people thinking that Brooks is the Prohibitive heir apparent cause he’s that good?