David DeJulius to enter transfer portal

Maryland isn’t a surprise given the connection with Haynes, a gaping hole at PG and the fact he blew up for 20 points there less than a month ago.

Of course the head coach thought it was Nunez, so :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Good kid. He will be missed!!

25 Likes

I totally agree… he has a good handle, passes well, hit some big shots, would have blossomed as a starter

6 Likes

Can not help but wonder which came first? DDJ looking to transfer or Michigan’s interest in Aiken?

Yeah. Just seemed like he needed in-game reps and the rest would come. Sorry to see him go.

1 Like

It’s not to say it’s anyone’s “fault” but I’m sure David harbors some ambition to play professional basketball, and didn’t see, given recruiting patterns, a path to more than the 18ish minutes a game he was getting.

I like David, and wish him well, but when recruiting takes the shape that ours is, I think the incidence of four year players is going to go way down. It wouldn’t shock me to see something from Johns, for similar reasons.

2 Likes

Not saying you’re wrong but boy would it be bad if Johns left and Todd didn’t come. If I learned anything in the Beilein era it’s to let everything shake out but definitely nervous about some of the possibilities at this point.

Reasonable, yeah. As for Johns, well, you could see him following that exact same logic as well regardless of Todd’s decision.

Disappointed to see him go. Had him penciled in as the starting PG this upcoming season, but wish him well wherever he goes!

(please don’t end up at MSU or OSU)

4 Likes

It would definitely be bad! But it wouldn’t be unreasonable for him to see that he plays the same natural position as, potentially, the teams beat returning player AND, potentially, their top incoming recruit (and another highly touted incoming freshman).

People also have to remember these aren’t Juwan’s recruits. Even if they do well it isn’t necessarily what he’s looking for from each player/position. I wouldn’t put it out of the realm of possibilities that Johns transfers if Todd actually comes (very up in the air now). I was high on Dejulius‘a abilities and am even more bullish on Johns so I really don’t want that to happen. But somethings gotta give with all the recruits coming in and supposedly Castleton and Nunez are two that aren’t leaving and when the BIG tourney was cancelled they were probably two of the leading candidates to transfer out if just looking at the roster. I suspect Bajema could as well.

Very excited about Terrance Williams but Johns is much better than him right now for next season.

I could see Johns following suit but really he grew alot as a player under one year or Coach Howard and staff.

This has been developing for months and has been suggested for nearly that long. Nothing happened suddenly.

3 Likes

I love Johns even more than I love DDJ, and would absolutely hate to lose him.

7 Likes

I hope Johns stays, he has 2 years under the Sandman and is really bulking up and playing stronger. Same with Livers, I’m not as fan of multiple 5 star one and done kids. You need experienced kids for a long run in the tournament and the physicality to compete. Most freshmen don’t get you to victory lane, it takes strong team play to win tournament ball. Especially from the point.

3 Likes

I don’t see the two as being all that related.

If DDJ stayed, he would have been a senior in 2021/22, when Aiken was a freshman. I doubt they were recruiting Aiken to come in and start as a true freshman, but they do need someone for the future at PG.

I think it’s more likely that Brooks was slated to start this coming year, and Zeb would then take over in 2021, leaving DDJ in the same role he had this year. And I assume he wants to start somewhere.

Aiken is a grad-transfer.

3 Likes

DOT, has a transfer been developing for a while for any other players besides DDJ?

1 Like

Sorry, I thought he meant Jaden Aikins, who we recently offered. My mistake.

I think they correctly see Bryce Aiken as someone who could come in and start at the point. I thought he looked awesome on film four years ago when we were recruiting him, and he’s been very good at Harvard.

3 Likes

I don’t know. DDJ was the only player that was discussed with me. I had hoped that things were not as I was being told but clearly the reports were accurate.

Best for all involved that he start somewhere else.

2 Likes