David DeJulius to enter transfer portal

He knew and probably kept it in his pocket. The rumors were prevalent before that.

1 Like

Were they? Because I thought I heard rumors from a couple different sources that suggested he was staying. Maybe those rumors were wrong, maybe DDJ changed his mind, maybe something else changedā€¦Iā€™d love to know the story but we probably wonā€™t get all of those details.

1 Like

Good luck to DDJ, I think he has great upside potential. The kid can play and I canā€™t fault him, Iā€™m sure he wants top be on the floor. When you go after 5 star kids they want guaranteed playing time and those minutes come from guys like DDJ. That was never on the table from JB. Juwan has a different culture and strategy and this is a new team. This is just the result of a new culture!

2 Likes

Another spot for Dejulius to potentially land could be Marquette. I think theyā€™ve been looking at Transfers and Greg Elliott is a former teammate of Dave at East English for 2 years. Jamal and Greg also played for the same AAU program as Dave (The Family) and Wojo recruits Michigan pretty hard. He had 3 kids from Detroit in the 2017 class.

2 Likes

Seems like a chicken or egg situation. Was he leaning toward going so the grad transfers were being recruited, or the grad transfers being recruited convinced him to go. I prefer to think the former. Bottom line is, thank you David for what you did for Michigan and may this work out the best way possible for you. My smaller mind says, please not in the BIG.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be surprised if he ever turned into a star, but I could see going to a Dayton and averaging like 13 and 5 for them.

1 Like

Pretty disappointing since he was locked into a major role next year. Might get ugly if we donā€™t land a grad transfer now.

I donā€™t know if he was locked into a major role, unless youā€™re talking 2021/22.

This year, he was our third guard. Assuming Eli started at the point, and Christopher at the two, he would be fending off Zeb Jackson for the same role this coming year.

1 Like

You might be able to survive with Brooks, Christopher, and Jackson since you could play the first two guys 30-35mpg and keep Jacksonā€™s minutes low. But that assumes Christopher is coming and assumes both he and Jackson as true freshman are ready for major roles. I guess we also have that walk-on PG who transferred to Michigan this year.

Jackson is considered a bit of a project as a combo guard and no one was projecting him to steal minutes from Brooks or DDJ next year. There are 80 minutes to go around at the two guard spots so worst case you give 30 to Brooks and 30 to Christopher and DDJ reprises his role as a 20mpg sixth man. But there was also a chance that he started over Brooks or that Juwan started DDJ/Brooks and Christopher came off the bench.

Bajema and Wagner are both capable of playing some 2 imo; especially Wagner. PG is the thin position but a grad transfer now seems likely my 2Ā¢

3 Likes

Christopher is not coming off the bench. Come on.

Iā€™d agree there was certainly a chance DDJ could win the starting PG job over Brooks. He must not have felt confident that would happen.

Coming into college, DDJ was far more of a ā€œprojectā€ than Zeb. It would not have surprised me at all to see Zeb take away minutes from DDJ as the season progressed.

6 Likes

I too wish him luck unless he goes to Sparty or that team down south. Illinois just lost Alan Griffin to Syracuse. That could also be a destination.

Deandre Haynes is @ Maryland.

2 Likes

Well that was quick

1 Like

Did I see somewhere, maybe a Rothstein tweet, that the free one-time transfer rule isnt expected to be implemented until the 2021-2022 season at the earliest? So DDJ is a sit one, play two?

FYI, a lot of these guys make their intentions known prior to formally entering the portal to get a sense of the schools that may be interested in them and vice versa. Same thing, but even more so with coaches ā€“ before a school fires a guy, they have a very good sense of what replacements are interested.

3 Likes

The transfer portal doesnā€™t move slowly.

Also, these schools have all been in contact with AAU and high school coaches along the way. No big surprises. Maryland (Haynes), Marquette and Missouri all recruit Michigan heavily and are well connected in the state.

2 Likes

Rothstein did report that, yes. I would expect DeJulius would be a sit one, play two unless he gets some kind of waiver we donā€™t know about.

2 Likes