Could Walton's role change dramatically?

Also I said will be great!

Please when we make comments shouts stats, please let’s start from the season until end

michguy93, I was not specifically responding to you. Lots of people have said that DW is a great point guard.

BTW, note that I said " I do think that MAAR could ultimately be better.". There’s a “could” in that sentence. And why not? MAAR is taller, probably just as quick, and I bet MAAR beats DW in a 40 yard dash. So maybe, as a junior, he’s the starting point guard. For next year I think the PG is either DW or Spike, unless, of course, both are injured, which could certainly happen…

michguy93, I was not specifically responding to you. Lots of people have said that DW is a great point guard.

BTW, note that I said " I do think that MAAR could ultimately be better.". There’s a “could” in that sentence. And why not? MAAR is taller, probably just as quick, and I bet MAAR beats DW in a 40 yard dash. So maybe, as a junior, he’s the starting point guard. For next year I think the PG is either DW or Spike, unless, of course, both are injured, which could certainly happen…

Name them or define “lots”. I think the majority of people here accept that Walton is a good, not great, PG. So name everyone who has called him “great”, and you can’t use michguy93 because you just admitted you weren’t specifically responding to him.

The fact that you just used 40 yard dash as a reference point makes me laugh. Is this is your first season following college basketball?

For what very little it may be worth, I think the MAAR crowd is fair in pointing out that MAAR, at 6-4, has an advantage in the very specific situation of getting all the way to the rim on straight-line drives. As an example, the dunk over Jake Layman is simply not a move that is athletically in Walton’s repertoire. I still don’t think making that one concession to MAAR is any disrespect to Walton or his aspirations as a player.

To unite us, let’s just agree that Walton is a very good point guard and also better than Bronson Koenig.

At 3 assists per game, it's hard to make the case that Walton is a great point guard. If he's injured, he would attack the basket less, which in turn might make the assist number go up. But 3 assists/game, that's not much.

That’s just bad reasoning. If he’s hurt and attacking less, that means he’s not going to be able to create for others so his assist numbers are not going to go up. If you’re injured it affects more than just one aspect of your game. To suggest that because his assists did not go up after he was injured as a reason why he’s not a great PG is just way out there. His assist % was pretty much the same this season as it was his freshman year. But we only have what, 6 games of a healthy Walton to go on? I think, if fully recovered, he’ll take a big step forward and prove capable of being a primary ball handler. If we get Brown, he’ll have less responsibility and be able to take a few more open jumpers, which he has shown capable of making. Great PG may be an overstatement, but so is your criticism here.

If healthy, there’s no way that Walton is benched in favor of Spike. I love Spike. I think he’s awesome. But Walton has better vision, can be quicker to lead the break and can finish better inside. And he can rebound very well for a PG. Spike is a great backup PG, adequate starter. But I think we’d like our season to be more than adequate.

The original post was never meant to be an attack on Walton but one that would step back and take a wider view of all the moving parts. Which in my opinion are many… meaning again with Caris coming back combined with the pleasant surprise that are MAAR and Dawkins would his minutes fall off even if healthy?

Again with all these parts and the match up problems they create I just have a feeling coach may look to go tall at times thus leading to fewer minutes for Walton.

I can see your point about going tall at times, but I don’t see it happening. Just my opinion

Thanks sking 12345

No problem, I did change my post a little bit sorry

Thanks sking 12345

If by Dramatically, you mean he’ll be healthy and therefore play more minutes this upcoming year, then I agree with you 100%.

That depends, does that same 40 yard dash include Handling/Dribbling and making decisions with the Basketball? If so, I will take that bet.

40 yard dash!! Lol is this football?. Webbdog hits the nail on the head.

MAAR is not and will not be better than Walton. Michigan fans baffle me in their love for the less talented players on their sports team. I don’t know if it’s because most can relate to them or what but it drives me nuts.

We need more players with Walton’s talent.

The original post was never meant to be an attack on Walton but one that would step back and take a wider view of all the moving parts. Which in my opinion are many... meaning again with Caris coming back combined with the pleasant surprise that are MAAR and Dawkins would his minutes fall off even if healthy?

Again with all these parts and the match up problems they create I just have a feeling coach may look to go tall at times thus leading to fewer minutes for Walton.

The kid finished 60% at the rim and 41% from 3 with a solid distribution and FTR as a freshman, all without turning the ball over much. If healthy, he’s gonna get his 32-35 minutes. MAAR was a pleasant surprise yes, but if healthy Walton is our second best player. Unless we get Brown, in which he’ll be our third best player and maybe the best third option in the conference.

Walton is a better PG, shooter, passer, rebounder, and floor general. MAAR is more athletic. It’s nice to have both.

If healthy, there’s no way that Walton is benched in favor of Spike. I love Spike. I think he’s awesome. But Walton has better vision, can be quicker to lead the break and can finish better inside. And he can rebound very well for a PG. Spike is a great backup PG, adequate starter. But I think we’d like our season to be more than adequate.

I am a Walton fan, and agree that his overall game is better than Spike. but I would respectfully disagree that Walton has better vision and decision making than Spike. Spike has his limitations but he sees the game as good as any PG.

Are you sure? Last I looked Walton put up a nice Vert number.

Walton is a better PG, shooter, passer, rebounder, and floor general. MAAR is more athletic. It’s nice to have both.

Spike does have some highlight-reel passes in his repertoire, that’s for sure. There are plenty of steady, reliable backup PGs in the game but few that can make a long-distance, thread-the-needle bounce pass or a behind-the-head in transition. I love watching the reaction of the opposing bench when Spike pulls a rabbit out of his hat: anger and disbelief.

For me, last year with this team I thought that Walton was going to be the key. I think you need to have that “dog” in the fight. THjr had it. Trey had it. Sauce definitely had it. I think on this team the only one who has the potential to have it is DWalt. It always seems like he’s the one for that role. While I love Caris, less Walton would be bad for us in the long run.