Next Year Team and Rotation

What do you guys think our possible starting 5 and rotation will be next year?

Walton
Caris/MAAR
Irvin
Chatman
Doyle

Bench:
Spike
Dawkins
Robinson
Wilson
Max?/Wagner

Walton, Irvin, Doyle are pretty easy picks.

If no Caris, we might see some shuffling going on.

I wish I had Wilson figured out. If he can play natural and comfortable, I think he can get minutes.

Walton, Irvin, Doyle are pretty easy picks.

If no Caris, we might see some shuffling going on.

I wish I had Wilson figured out. If he can play natural and comfortable, I think he can get minutes.

Could not agree more with WIlson. He is a major wild card. If he is playing well he can end up starting at the 4. If not he is a backup at best. Only time will tell for him.

C Ricky
PF Irvin
SF LeVert (if he returns) If not then Aubrey
SG DW10
PG Spike
Bench
MAAR
Wilson/Donnal (Which ever proves they can be a better backup 5)
Duncan
Chatman getting minimal bench minutes along with whoever doesn’t get time as the backup 5
We will have to wait and see what Max decides so far it is not looking too good.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to be the only one that agrees with MattD on his lineup. I think most are going to assume the Chatman is going to be relegated to the bench, I think that is incorrect. I also

Walton
Caris/MAAR
Irvin
Chatman
Doyle

Bench
Spike
Dawkins
Robinson
Donnal
*MAAR
Wilson

My only question is how many people will Coach JB put in the rotation. I can honestly see 10 easily, but that doesn’t see like a pattern of his. A second 5 of Spike, MAAR, Dawkins, Robinson and Donnal would be sub-optimal defensively, but they would shoot the lights out. I also think we should be diverse enough as a team that you will see different lineups depending on the opponent.

My preferred line up…

Walton/Spike
LeVert/MAAR
Dawkins/Irvin
Chatman/Robinson (will be a battle for mins here, especially since AD or ZI can play the 4)
Doyle/Wilson

The two controversial positions are probably the three and four. I think Irvin would provide a huge spark and something special off of the bench. Imo, Dawkins is the more talented player with more upside.
It’s far too early to tell with the Robinson/Chatman battle. No one has seen how DR will play when the lights come on even though practice reports have been positive. We heard last summer/early fall how Chatman was a sure fire starter, yet he struggled to find a rhythm through his entire freshman season, only showing a handful of glimpses into what he could become. I’m excited to see how it unfolds.

And the most exciting part about all of it is the 3/4 positions could be all thrown out the window if/when we land either Brown/Wagner. Regardless of what the Levert/Brown/Wagner choices become, I think UM is top 2 next year in B1G.

My preferred line up..

Walton/Spike
LeVert/MAAR
Dawkins/Irvin
Chatman/Robinson (will be a battle for mins here, especially since AD or ZI can play the 4)
Doyle/Wilson

The two controversial positions are probably the three and four. I think Irvin would provide a huge spark and something special off of the bench. Imo, Dawkins is the more talented player with more upside.
It’s far too early to tell with the Robinson/Chatman battle. No one has seen how DR will play when the lights come on even though practice reports have been positive. We heard last summer/early fall how Chatman was a sure fire starter, yet he struggled to find a rhythm through his entire freshman season, only showing a handful of glimpses into what he could become. I’m excited to see how it unfolds.

And the most exciting part about all of it is the 3/4 positions could be all thrown out the window if/when we land either Brown/Wagner. Regardless of what the Levert/Brown/Wagner choices become, I think UM is top 2 next year in B1G.

Do you seriously think Dawkins has more talent than Zak Irvin…if so, then wow.

To be fair, Beilein referred to Chatman as a ‘rotation player’ not as a ‘starter’.

I would be shocked if Dawkins started over Irvin. Now maybe they both start, but there’s no way Irvin comes off the bench and Dawkins starts.

Irvin is defiantly better then Dawkins. Also, I doubt we will land Jaylen Brown, I would be shocked.

My only question is how many people will Coach JB put in the rotation. I can honestly see 10 easily, but that doesn’t see like a pattern of his. A second 5 of Spike, MAAR, Dawkins, Robinson and Donnal would be sub-optimal defensively, but they would shoot the lights out. I also think we should be diverse enough as a team that you will see different lineups depending on the opponent.

Maybe he’ll pull a Kentucky and have “two teams”
(joke)

My guess (assuming Caris leaves).

PG - Walton, Spike.
SG - MAAR, Unknown recruit?
SF - Dawkins, Robinson
PF - Irvin, Chatman
C - Doyle, DJ Wilson

I have a feeling if Caris leaves JB may try to add a late guard like last year. Remember he was scouting a couple of those JUCO guys recently (also Jamal Murray). I have some concerns about our 5 spot. Hopefully Doyle improves and can handle 25-30 mins a game. I think DJ Wilson may be his backup because he can alter/block shots, but he needs to add serious weight over the summer.

PG - Walton, Spike.
SF - Dawkins, Robinson
PF - Irvin, Chatman
C - Doyle, DJ Wilson

I have a feeling if Caris leaves JB may try to add a late guard like last year. Remember he was scouting a couple of those JUCO guys recently (also Jamal Murray). I have some concerns about our 5 spot. Hopefully Doyle improves and can handle 25-30 mins a game. I think DJ Wilson may be his backup because he can alter/block shots, but he needs to add serious weight over the summer.

I see if caris leaves PG Spike, MAAR SG Walton, Dawkins SF Irvin, Chatman PF Robinson maybe, Wilson????? Big question marks at the 4 C Doyle, Donnal

I do not think that Aubrey will start next year. I see him coming off as a 6th man. I also like this cuz Chatman is at his natural position at the 3. I also see both Walton and Albrecht starting continuing the 2 PG set as they both deserve to be starters

PG - Walton, Spike.
SF - Dawkins, Robinson
PF - Irvin, Chatman
C - Doyle, DJ Wilson

I see if caris leaves PG Spike, MAAR SG Walton, Dawkins SF Irvin, Chatman PF Robinson maybe, Wilson????? Big question marks at the 4 C Doyle, Donnal

I do not think that Aubrey will start next year. I see him coming off as a 6th man. I also like this cuz Chatman is at his natural position at the 3. I also see both Walton and Albrecht starting continuing the 2 PG set as they both deserve to be starters

I think Caris’s decision impacts on multiple positions. If he comes back, then we have enough scorers and ballhandlers to potentially start a lineup with a specialty or blend player at the fourth perimeter spot (Robinson, Chatman, MAAR), and to bring Dawkins off the bench as a scoring sixth man–this assumes, of course, that Dawkins hasn’t improved on his weak areas (as players often do between freshman and sophomore years), and that the others have done so. If, however, Caris leaves, I think Dawkins will almost surely start, because they’ll need his firepower. IMO, Walton’s return will help us immeasurably on the defensive end, but Derrick is not appreciably better (if he is better at all) than Spike on the offensive end–he’s better at getting into the lane (and, when healthy, finishing), but he’s a catch and shoot 3 point shooter, not someone who can shoot it off the bounce like Spike. MAAR, Kam and Robinson all have their strengths, but unless any shows an ability to be a primary, rather than secondary scorer, I don’t see two of them starting on a team without Caris–it would be Walton, Irvin, Dawkins and whichever player is best from among the others (least likely, Robinson–he’d be the gunner off the bench, as he is more duplicative of what we’d have starting than MAAR or Kam).

JB will surely use the preseason to experiment with lineups, Caris or not, and as we have seen, players are capable of immense improvement. This is just my view based on what I have seen (or, in Robinson’s case, what has been projected), to date.

IMO, Walton's return will help us immeasurably on the defensive end, but Derrick is not appreciably better (if he is better at all) than Spike on the offensive end--he's better at getting into the lane (and, when healthy, finishing), but he's a catch and shoot 3 point shooter, not someone who can shoot it off the bounce like Spike.

I’m not sure I would characterize Spike as someone who shoots off the dribble. I think maybe the 2-3 shots against Wiscy are pushing some revisionist history. There is a reason that Derrick starts over Spike and that JB talks about Spike in the – we never expected he would play this many minutes in his career – way.

IMO, Walton's return will help us immeasurably on the defensive end, but Derrick is not appreciably better (if he is better at all) than Spike on the offensive end--he's better at getting into the lane (and, when healthy, finishing), but he's a catch and shoot 3 point shooter, not someone who can shoot it off the bounce like Spike.

I’m not sure I would characterize Spike as someone who shoots off the dribble. I think maybe the 2-3 shots against Wiscy are pushing some revisionist history. There is a reason that Derrick starts over Spike and that JB talks about Spike in the – we never expected he would play this many minutes in his career – way.

Going to have to co-sign this. Walton is a much better offensive player than Spike. Walton is essentially what Spike could be if Spike had above average athleticism.

Spike is the better shooter off the dribble. Walton is the better athlete. I don’t see them starting together though, unless other options disappoint.

For anyone who listed Caris, he will not be here.

I assume Caris will be gone. Here is my guess based on available minutes.

72/80 available minutes at the 1/2 will be Walton/Spike/MAAR
70/80 available minutes at the 3/4 will be Irvin/Dawkins/Chatman
38/40 available minutes at the 5 will be Doyle/Wilson

That still leaves some 20 random minutes for others. Perhaps, Irvin gets some time at the 2, maybe MAAR takes a few at the 3, maybe Robinson finds 10 minutes a game somewhere.