College Basketball Open Discussion

dear coach Pastner, you are either not smart or just being a blatant cheerleader. The ACC is TERRIBLE this year.

4 Likes

It’s Josh Pastner so I’m going with “not smart.”

3 Likes

Woof…I went to the Bracket Matrix to see how dumb that is at least this year. There are SIX ACC teams projected to get in. So he was only off by almost 100%.

1 Like

Lol the annual campaigning by bubble coaches for their conference, with Selection Sunday around the corner. It’s never not obtuse and funny

Jimothy Boeheim getting slapped around by Duke

This is shocking to watch after yesterday’s masterpiece. Just garbage basketball at both ends.

Who has a link to any good conference rankings?

I know the Big Ten was at a high historic level early on - has that changed?

Currently the B10 is the highest rated conference in the KenPom era (2002+)

4 Likes

I thought I recalled reading that. Many thanks.

Boy, looking at the bottom of the KenPom rankings and seeing a lot of Beilein opponents :joy:

Okie St. and TT going to OT on ESPN for the only good game of the night

1 Like

Texas Tech is trash this year. Weren’t very good last year either (before the cancellation).

Was Beard a one-hit wonder?

These are Texas Tech’s Kenpom Numbers for the four years before he got there—239, 80, 155, 54. These are the Kenpom numbers for the five years since he got there—42, 11, 5, 25, 21. Texas Tech is an incredibly difficult job. Bob Knight and Tubby Smith, guys with national titles, had tough times there and at best, could only sustain moderate success. Beard has made Texas Tech a top 25 program for four years running, which is unheard of there. I wouldn’t call that trash or a one-hit wonder.

9 Likes

Having your average year somewhere in the 20s nationally is pretty good. That means on a good year you’re a second-weekend-of-the-tournament type team. Not bad at all. Without looking, I would guess that’s about the range Beilein’s Michigan teams probably would have averaged.

2 Likes

I was curious so I checked it out.

In 12 years (2008-2019), JB’s Michigan teams finished 137, 47, 70, 30, 22, 4, 12, 74, 50, 20, 7, and 6. That’s an average of 40 (39.9), but if you chuck his first season which was definitely a Year 0 type deal, it drops to 31 (31.1). Going a little deeper, if you drop his three non-NCAA teams (2018, 2010, 2015), the average drops to 22, which basically fits what you were saying.

5 Likes

Big difference between accomplishments at Texas tech and Michigan too. Beard has been incredible.

Their defense is definitely not as fearsome as the one from a couple years ago.

1 Like

Cheerleading for your conference is expected for the coach of a lesser team but that was over the top. Now I want GT Basketball to join GT Football and go back to the flexbone offense as punishment.

Baylor is pulling out the Michigan card

4 Likes

You mean “waving the white flag” :white_flag:

2 Likes